Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Teaser Tuesday: Luck Is No Lady by Amy Sandas

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser (from 10% on my Kindle):
Knowing how deep her father had gotten into his compulsion to risk every extra coin on another game of chance, she shouldn't have been surprised to discover evidence of the exorbitant personal loan tucked into the pages of an account book.
My teaser this week comes from Luck Is No Lady by Amy Sandas. I got this eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
"You should not have kissed me," she replied breathlessly.

"I do a lot of things I shouldn't. It does not mean I won't do them again."


Gently bred Emma Chadwick always assumed she'd live and die the daughter of a gentleman. But when her father's death reveals a world of staggering debt and dangerous moneylenders, she must risk her good name and put her talent for mathematics to use, taking a position as bookkeeper at London's most notorious gambling hell. Surrounded by vice and corruption on all sides, it is imperative no one discovers Emma's shameful secret or her reputation-and her life-will be ruined.

But Roderick Bentley, the hell's sinfully wealthy owner, awakens a hunger Emma cannot deny. Drawn deep into an underworld of high stakes gambling and reckless overindulgence, she soon discovers that in order to win the love of a ruthless scoundrel, she will have to play the game...and give in to the pleasure of falling from grace.

12 comments:

  1. Uh Oh, wonder where he got the loan? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine how awful that would feel, finding out how much debt your father accumulated. This sounds like a good one. I like that she's into math and uses that skill to work. I hope you are enjoying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, could be a shock to see the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a horrible situation - particularly at that time. I look forward to seeing what you make of it when you've got further into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading romance, especially when there's something unusual about the heroine. I haven't read any historical romances where the heroine was a bookkeeper. This sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features a mystery thriller: THE SHADOW CARTEL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Big grin!" Such an alpha. I can just see his face. I used to read this genre all the time. Don't know why I got away from it. Always read them cover to cover without stopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good one. I'd keep reading. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This isn't my usual genre, but I'm kind of intrigued! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear ): That must not have been an easy find so soon after loosing her father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, that doesn't sound good!
    I've been seeing lots of good things about this book, hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great story! I hope that she sorts out her father's addiction in this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!