Thursday, September 9, 2010

Review: Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Spy Glass
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publication: Mira; Original edition (September 1, 2010)


Description: After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, Opal Cowan has lost her powers. She can no longer create glass magic. More, she's immune to the effects of magic. Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had, powers that make a difference in the world.


Until spying through the glass becomes her new power. Suddenly, the beautiful pieces she makes flash in the presence of magic. And then she discovers that someone has stolen some of her blood—and that finding it might let her regain her powers. Or learn if they're lost forever…


My Thoughts: This third adventure has Opal trying to find what her new role in life will be now that she no longer has her glass magic. She goes on a search for some of the blood that was removed from her in the previous book and along the way she encounters a variety of villains and makes a number of new friends. Her romance with Kade gets pushed aside as she reconnects with Devlin. She is also recruited by Valek and trained by him to help her meet her goals. I enjoyed Opal's journey and was happy with the resolution at the end of the book.


A number of characters from earlier books reappeared in this book. We got a chance to see more of Nic and Eve and Janco and Ari. We also saw Mari and Leif again as Opal helps her mother get ready for their big wedding. We also see Opal's character as she helps a number of people while she is on her quest. Opal is a compulsive fixer. She can't pass by anyone in trouble.


I liked her relationship with her horse Quartz. They were partners. They communicated and Opal finally realizes that she is gathering her own herd of people who are impartant to her. 


I recommend the series - Storm Glass, Sea Glass, and Spy Glass -- to lovers of fantasy who appreciate strong female characters and a well-developed system of magic. 


Challenges: Paranormal Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of this series yet but I loved Inside Out by the same author and I've had Poison Study on order from the library for ages. I'll definitely be checking these out some time as well. Thanks for sharing a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really love Maria's books and I love her writing but personally Opal as a character didn't appeal to me as much as Yelena. Opal is really realistic though in her wishy-washy attitude towards different things/people in her life and I really enjoyed the plot of this series. Just love the Study series more. :) What do you think, which is your fave?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!