Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H. P. Mallory

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

I dug deep in the TBR mountain to find this one - Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H. P. Mallory - because I recently got the third book in the series from Amazon Vine for review and realized that I had never read the previous books. I have had this one since Oct. 18, 2010 when I apparently won it.

Here is the description:
A self-deprecating witch with the unique ability to reanimate the dead. A dangerously handsome warlock torn between being her boss and her would-be lover. A six hundred year old English vampire with his own agenda; one that includes an appetite for witches. The Underworld in a state of chaos. Let the games begin. Life isn't bad for psychic Jolie Wilkins. True, she doesn't have a love life to speak of, but she has a cute house in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a cat and a quirky best friend. Enter Rand Balfour, a sinfully attractive warlock who insists she's a witch and who just might turn her life upside down. Rand hires her to help him solve a mystery regarding the death of his client who also happens to be a ghost. Jolie not only uncovers the cause of the ghost's demise but, in the process, she brings him back to life! Word of Jolie's incredible ability to bring back the dead spreads like wildfire, putting her at the top of the Underworld's most wanted list. Consequently, she finds herself at the center of a custody battle between a villainous witch, a dangerous but oh-so-sexy vampire, and her warlock boss, Rand.
Beginning:
It's not every day you see a ghost.
Friday 56:
I scanned the room, my attention falling on Jack and Christa who were dancing pretty close. Oh no, tell me she wasn't going to go for the newly undead? 
I like this beginning very much because she doesn't react like the usual kick-ass urban fantasy heroine. She is scared stiff which seems to me to be a much more realistic reaction. 

8 comments:

  1. Good beginning and page 56, but my favorite was the cover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah, fun. I luv the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one does sound intriguing...I actually like the idea of her cute house, a cat, and a quirky best friend. You just know that everything will soon be chaos!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beginning! It's so ironic! I'm a new follower! Hope you have a great weekend and hop on over if you have the time:
    http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-friday-of-2012.html
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun. A good set up for a series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both very fun! Yes, tell us she's NOT going to go for the newly undead! lol

    Here are my Friday Memes: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book! Great pick even if you did have to really dig for it:) Shari over at My Neurotic Book Affair

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!