Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Memes: Icon by J. Carson Black


Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week.


Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Recently Amazon came out with a list of thrillers to be published by their company Thomas and Mercer and sent it to Amazon Vine members. I am a fan of thrillers and chose two. Today the first one reached the top of my review stack.

Icon is by J. Carson Black. This is her seventh novel. Here is the description:

Hollywood superstar Max Conroy is A-list all the way—one of the few actors who can guarantee box office blockbusters on opening weekend. Max has it all: the devil-may-care charisma, the stunning movie star wife, and a sizable personal fortune that grows along with his legend.

When Max escapes from a rehab center in Arizona, disoriented and longing to return to his blue-collar roots, he becomes the target of a motley group of kidnappers planning to cash in by holding him for ransom. Max not only outsmarts them; he evens the score. Little does he know that a far more dangerous and merciless enemy is coming for him. But this time, he has an ally in the smart and beautiful sheriff’s deputy Tess McCrae.

For years, Max drifted through an easy superstar life, untethered and without purpose. But as he fights for his life, something turns inside him. He’s ready to live again—on his own terms. He will destroy those who’d rather see him die like an icon than live like a man.
Beginning(s):

Prologue:
When he considered all he'd had were textbooks, some of which he'd written himself, and a slide rule, retractable measuring tape, calculator, drafting pencil, and reams of notebook paper, Dr. Stephen DePaulentis was quite proud.
Chapter One:
The woman and the boy came from LA.
Chapter Two:
Well into the second hour of Max Conroy's incarceration, the arresting officer came to release him from this stinking hellhole. About time.
I chose all three of these because it took a prologue and a short chapter to get to meet the main character. I am quite curious about the role the woman and the boy will play but do not think it will be at all good for Max.

Friday 56:
"I've got a dead woman on ice and a rock star saying he can't write songs anymore because I cured his heroin habit and now he's going to sue me. That's the kind of crap I deal with on a daily basis, and now you just wantonly shoot two men in the head? For no sane reason I can see?"

3 comments:

  1. So much going on... sounds awesome still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me things don't end well for Dr. Stephen DePaulentis.

    Here's my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one. Here is my post: Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!