Saturday, May 24, 2014

ARC Review: The Girl with the Windup Heart by Kady Cross

The Girl with the Windup Heart
Author: Kady Cross
Publication: Harlequin Teen (May 27, 2014)

Description: 1897 London, a final showdown is about to begin

London's underworld is no place for a young woman, even one who is strong, smart and part-automaton like Mila. But when master criminal Jack Dandy inadvertently breaks her heart, she takes off, determined to find an independent life, one entirely her own. Her search takes her to the spangled shadows of the West End's most dazzling circus.

Meanwhile, taken captive in the Aether, Griffin King is trapped in an inescapable prison, and at the mercy of his archenemy, The Machinist. If he breaks under the hellish torment, The Machinist will claim his powers and control of the Aether itself, and no one in either world will be safe—especially not Finley Jayne and her misfit band of friends.

Finley plunges headlong into the Aether the only way she knows how, by temporarily dying. But she cannot parry The Machinist's maneuvers for long. To defeat him for good, Griffin will have to confront his greatest fear and finally come face-to-face with the destructive power he wields.

My Thoughts: THE GIRL WITH THE WINDUP HEART was a satisfying conclusion to this steampunk series. I liked the romance between Jack Dandy and Mila. I also liked the way the whole group worked together when the Machinist, Leonardo Garibaldi, kidnapped Griffin into the Aether.

The two parts of this story worked well together as we find the former android Mila learning to be a real girl and trying to convince Jack that she loved him. It was nice to see Jack's good side as he falls in love with Mila too but doesn't think that he is the best man for her.

I love the steampunk details of this series. It was also filled with adventure and excitement as the group comes to a final showdown with the villain who has been haunting them throughout the series.

Begin with THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET and see for yourself what an enjoyable series this is.

Favorite Quote:
"I am. Most girls quite enjoy the romance of Romeo and Juliet."

Her frown grew. She was adorable when she scowled. "I don't find tandem suicide the least bit romantic, Jack. Why didn't they just stand up to their families?"

"Because that just wasn't done."

She snorted. "Ridiculous. If I was in love with someone, I wouldn't let that stop me."
I got this eARC from NetGalley. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. ooo, been meaning to start this series. love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!