Wednesday, July 23, 2014

ARC Review: The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

The Book of Life
Author: Deborah Harkness
Series: All Souls Trilogy (Book 3)
Publication: Viking Adult (July 15, 2014)

Description: The highly anticipated finale to the #1 New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with A Discovery of Witches

After traveling through time in Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah Harkness’s enchanting series, historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont return to the present to face new crises and old enemies. At Matthew’s ancestral home at Sept-Tours, they reunite with the cast of characters from A Discovery of Witches—with one significant exception. But the real threat to their future has yet to be revealed, and when it is, the search for Ashmole 782 and its missing pages takes on even more urgency. In the trilogy’s final volume, Harkness deepens her themes of power and passion, family and caring, past deeds and their present consequences. In ancestral homes and university laboratories, using ancient knowledge and modern science, from the hills of the Auvergne to the palaces of Venice and beyond, the couple at last learn what the witches discovered so many centuries ago.

With more than one million copies sold in the United States and appearing in thirty-eight foreign editions, A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night have landed on all of the major bestseller lists and garnered rave reviews from countless publications. Eagerly awaited by Harkness’s legion of fans, The Book of Life brings this superbly written series to a deeply satisfying close.

My Thoughts: Make time when you decide to read this "chunkster" because, once you begin, you won't want to put it down before reaching the satisfying conclusion.

THE BOOK OF LIFE is the third book in the All Souls Trilogy and follows the adventures of Matthew and Diana as they return from the Sixteenth Century and deal with impending parenthood, creature politics, and de Clairmont politics too.

I was just about defeated by the start of this book because in the first few pages no less than eighteen people were mentioned by name. It has been quite a while since I read the first books in this trilogy and had no context for most of the names. However, I kept on and quickly got back up to speed.

I like the combination of magic and genetics that are interwoven in this series. I like that Diana is a history professor and a witch who has an unusual kind of witchcraft. I like that Matthew is a scientist, poet, vampire, and assassin. I like the strong love that binds the two of them together. I especially loved the way the two of them built and supported each other's strengths.

This is a richly detailed story with strong, well-rounded characters who face real problems. While this ending wraps up the loose ends of the series, romance lover that I am is left wishing for a story about Gallowglass that gives him his own happy ending. Are you listening, Ms. Harkness?

Favorite Quote:
"So let me get this straight. Matthew's Bad Seed is engaged in some down-home genetics research involving a hereditary condition, a kidnapped witch, and some half-baked ideas about eugenics." Chris folded his arms over his chest. There were a few details missing, but he had sized up the situation in no time at all. "You left some important plot twists our of the fairy tale you told me yesterday, Diana."
I got this eARC from NetGalley. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this series but I became intrigued by it when I saw this cover. From all I've heard about it it definitely sounds like worth giving a try - even though it's slightly outside my usual reading. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the warning! I'll make sure I don't have to many other things going before I start on this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!