Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Book Review: Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

Midnight Riot
Author: Ben Aaronovitch
Series: Rivers of London (Book 1)
Publication: Del Rey; Original edition (February 1, 2011)

Description: Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

My Thoughts: MIDNIGHT RIOT is a London police procedural with magic. Newly minted Police Constable Peter Grant finds himself working with Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale when he stumbles on a murder and meets a ghost who is an eye witness to the crime. Nightingale happens to be the only wizard working for the London Police.

Peter becomes his apprentice and begins to learn magic. He is also busy investigating a series of very odd crimes and meeting many of the supernatural residents of London. While investigating, he finds himself drafted to settle a dispute between Father Thames and Mother Thames and crushing on one of Mother Thames daughters while still wanting to have a romance with fellow constable Leslie.

The story is nicely complex with various ghosts and the Punch and Judy show playing a role.

Peter tells the story and  has a very distinct and snarky voice. I loved the combination police practices and magic. I liked Peter's curiosity and the way he accepts that magic is real. I liked what we learned about Peter's background as the son of a jazz-playing addict and an African mother.

This was a great beginning to a different sort of paranormal mystery series. I can't wait to read more.

Favorite Quote:
"Is this where you tell me that there's a secret branch of the Met whose task it is to tackle ghosts, ghouls, faeries, demons, witches and warlocks, elves and goblins..." I said. "You can stop me before I run out of supernatural creatures."

"You haven't  even scratched the surface," said Nightingale.

"Aliens?" I had to ask.

"Not yet."
I bought this one Dec. 30, 2013. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!