Wednesday, December 26, 2018

YA Book Review: Wildcard by Marie Lu

Wildcard
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Warcross (Book 2)
Publication: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (September 18, 2018)

Description: Emika Chen barely made it out of the Warcross Championships alive. Now that she knows the truth behind Hideo's new NeuroLink algorithm, she can no longer trust the one person she's always looked up to, who she once thought was on her side.

Determined to put a stop to Hideo's grim plans, Emika and the Phoenix Riders band together, only to find a new threat lurking on the neon-lit streets of Tokyo. Someone's put a bounty on Emika's head, and her sole chance for survival lies with Zero and the Blackcoats, his ruthless crew. But Emika soon learns that Zero isn't all that he seems--and his protection comes at a price.

Caught in a web of betrayal, with the future of free will at risk, just how far will Emika go to take dI lown the man she loves?

In this explosive sequel to the New York Times bestselling Warcross, Marie Lu delivers an addictive finale that will hold you captive till the very last page.

My Thoughts: Emika Chen has found out the real reason that Hideo Tanaka created the NeuroLink and she doesn't agree with his reasoning or his plans. But it is very hard for one woman - even a Warcross champion - to bring down a multi-billionaire, especially one she loves.

Emika isn't quite alone. She has her team from the Warcross game and she has the dubious assistance of Zero and the Blackcoats. She finds it more than difficult to trust Zero and she has no faith that he wants the same results she does.

When she learns Zero and the Blackcoats real agenda, she has to play along to stay alive. She is helped by Jax who is secretly working against the Blackcoats' agenda.

This story has many twists and turns. Characters motivations are hidden and what they say isn't often what they mean. Emika has to be tricky herself if she wants to protect humanity. I loved the virtual worlds created in the story. And Sasuke's story made my cry. I liked Emika's character and her sense of optimism and determination to save what was good and build a better future.

Fans of video games, science fiction fans, and even romance fans will enjoy this wonderful story.

Favorite Quote:
Immediately, I slip into the closest hidden crevice I can find -- a row of tall recycle bins. But the guards have already disappeared down the hall. I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment and lean my head back against the wall, then pull down my mask so I can take in some deep gasps of air. A sheen of cold sweat covers my entire body.

In my next life, I'm going to be an accountant.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!