Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Book and Audio Review: Night Shift Dragons by Rachel Aaron

Night Shift Dragons

Author:
Rachel Aaron
Narrator: Emily Woo Zeller
Series: Detroit Free Zone, Book 3
Publication: Audible Studios (May 5, 2020); Aaron/Bach (May 5, 2020)
Length: 14 hours and 41 minutes; 397 p.

Description: They say family always sticks together, but when you're your dad's only lifeline and the whole world - humans, dragons, and gods - wants you dead, "family bonding" takes on a whole new meaning.

My name is Opal Yong-ae, and I'm in way over my head. I thought getting rid of my dad's bad luck curse would put things back to normal. Instead, I'm stuck playing caretaker to the Great Dragon of Korea. That wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn't such a jerk, or if every dragon on the planet wasn't out to kill him, or if he was my only problem.

Turns out, things can always get worse in the DFZ. When a rival spirit attacks my god/boss with the aim of turning the famously safety-optional city into a literal death arena with Nik as his bloody champion, I'm thrust onto the front lines and way out of my comfort zone. When gods fight, mortals don't usually survive, but I'm not alone this time. Even proud old dragons can learn new tricks, and with everything I love falling to pieces, the father I've always run from might just be the only force in the universe stubborn enough to pull us back together

My Thoughts: The final book in the DFZ trilogy has Opal learning about her new magic while waiting for her father to heal from injuries he suffered when he cursed Opal. Opal and her father are in hiding because his weakness would make him a target for a dragon who wants his lands. 

Opal does learn how to transfer power to her father but, being human, she can't transfer enough to heal him though she can keep him from dying. But time is running out and, while she was in hiding, her boyfriend Nik has gotten himself involved with the Gameskeeper who wants to put him back into the fights-to-the-death in his arena. Opal wants to free him from his obligation and the DFZ is also interested in what the Gameskeeper is doing.

The Gameskeeper is another Spirit who is intent on taking over what belongs to the DFZ. He is using her own rules against her in order to run his fights and gather power from her. In order to rescue Nik, Opal and her father who isn't at his best have to find a way to defeat the Gameskeeper with very limited help from her God. 

Opal and her father have finally managed to settle their differences and come to a better accord. Opal has been working to claim her adulthood and agency through all the books in this trilogy. Now all they have to do is find a way to defeat a rising god if they want to survive. 

I liked the worldbuilding in this series. I also liked Opal who is claiming her adulthood and building a life that satisfies her. I like her new relationship with her father. Emily Woo Zeller did a great job narrating this series. 

Favorite Quote:
"Let no defeat go to waste," Yong replied in a sage voice, flitting through the stacked boxes. "Anything you survive makes you stronger. That's why old dragons are the most dangerous."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!