Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Book & Audio Review: Oath Sworn by K. N. Banet

Oath Sworn

Author:
K. N. Banet
Narrator: Savannah Gilmore
Series: Jacky Leon (Book 1)
Publication: Kristen Banet (May 13, 2020)
Length: 354 p; 9 hours and 17 minutes

Description: I’ve never been the type to find trouble. Owning a bar takes work and that was all I wanted. Serving cold beers and paying my taxes. Those were the responsibilities I wanted for the rest of my life.

I didn’t ask to be a werecat. I didn’t ask for the responsibility to uphold an ancient treaty. I didn’t ask to get pulled into the middle of a werewolf pack’s coup.

But Carey Everson, the very human daughter of a werewolf Alpha, needs me. Her father’s enemies are on her heels and I’m her l

My name is Jacky Leon and nothing is going to stop me from honoring my word.

My Thoughts: Jacky Leon just wants a quiet life. She's a reluctant werecat who just wants to run her bar and live her life. But when eleven-year-old Carey Everson comes begging for her protection under terms of an ancient treaty, she has no choice but to protect the child.

The treaty says that she can't get involved in werewolf politics, but Carey is the pack alpha's human daughter. And groups of werewolves want her and are willing to fight Jacky for her despite what the treaty says. 

After the first attack, Jacky and Carey run and hide out in an out-of-the-way motel which happens to be owned by a fae. When trouble shows up, the fae helps and offers Jacky healing and a gift she doesn't really want. When she is attacked again and Carey is taken, Jacky has no choice, at least according to her sense of honor, but to head to Dallas and rescue the child, no matter whose politics she has to interfere in.

The story was action-packed. The worldbuilding was intriguing. Jacky is a nicely complex character just coming to terms with her new life. I liked her loyalty and loneliness. I liked her determination to protect Carey no matter what it might cost her in the future. 

I look forward to reading more books in this series. 

Favorite Quote:
"Stop saying thank you," I demanded, covering my face. "Stop. I'm just...this is what good people do, right? We show up, even when we're not ready and we're totally out of our depth. I made a promise to her and I'm going to see it through. Stop...thanking me for that."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!