Monday, August 14, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 14, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I had a great week visiting with my friend. Per her request, we did nothing. She needed some time when she didn't have to be anywhere or do anything, and I was glad to oblige. We listened to a couple of the first Amelia Peabody audiobooks since she had never heard them but had listened to one of the later books in the series on her drive up to see me. 

Now she's got me hooked and I plan to listen to the rest of the series. I have quite a few more via Audible Plus before I need to start buying the audiobooks and a couple of the ones I didn't already have as an audiobook were on sale at Chirp this week. I'll keep watching for sales as I continue this series. I do have the whole series in print but want to listen to them.

I have to switch back to books coming up on my calendar which includes September review books. I have nine more review books on my September calendar and a couple of my own books too. I try to listen to and review two audiobooks a week along with the books I read with my eyes. My latest audiobook binge has almost completed my September calendar leaving the print books lagging behind.

This coming week is free of appointments and should give me time for reading. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths (Mine; Audible Plus) -- The ninth Ruth Galloway mystery concerns tunnels under Norwich, murdered sidewalk sleepers and three missing women. Great story! My review will be posted on September 2.
  • Seams Deadly by Maggie Bailey (Review; September 5) -- First in a new cozy series set in Northern Georgia. I hated the wimpy and weepy main characters. My review will be posted on August 31.
  • The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths (Mine; Audible Plus) -- The tenth Ruth Galloway mystery has Ruth traveling to Italy at the request of an old lover to look into his findings at a local dig. Some of the bones are much newer than his Roman archaeology specialty. My review will be posted on September 7.
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Mine; Audible Plus) -- First in the Amelia Peabody historical mystery series. I love the characters especially Amelia. Her viewpoint is eccentric and funny. My review will be posted on September 12.
  • The Dark Lord's Daughter by Patricia C. Wrede (Review; September 5) -- Middle grade fantasy about a young woman transported to another world where she learns that she is the Dark Lord's daughter and is expected to continue her evil ways. My review will be posted on September 5.
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters (Mine; Audible Plus) -- The second Amelia Peabody mystery has them traveling to Egypt to deal with a possible curse and some definite murders. Another fun story to hear. I reviewed this one on Goodreads and LibraryThing but don't plan a review for my blog.
  • The Stone Circle by Elly Griffiths (Mine; Audiobook) -- Eleventh in the Ruth Galloway series has lots of echoes from the past as Nelson investigates a cold crime and Ruth reconnects with the son and wife of one of her mentors. My review will be posted on September 21.
  • The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters (Mine; Audible Plus) -- The third in the Amelia Peabody series is the first where Emerson and Amelia's precocious son Ramses has a starring role and the Master Criminal makes his first appearance. Fun to listen to! My review will be posted on September 19.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Hot Money by Dick Francis (Mine; Kindle replacement for print)
  • Trial Run by Dick Francis (Mine; Kindle replacement for print)
Audiobooks:
What was your week like?

18 comments:

  1. Great book. So many too add to my reading list. I need to try audio books again 😩. Something else too add to my list. I am looking forward to holiday books in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice time with your friend. I am a big fan or relaxing and doing nothing. That's probably why our time off is usually filled with stay-cations and not traveling. I am compiling a list of holiday reads and it seems to be getting longer. I see some here I'm curious about. I've been trying to get Lessons in Chemistry from my library forever it seems but the hold is soooo long. Thanks for visiting Booker T's Farm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good visit with your friend! Crocodile on the Sandbank has been on my tbr for a while now... glad to hear you're enjoying that series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of visiting without any set plans. It sounds more relaxing. I hope to do that with some visits to relatives and friends later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice to have a little time where you don't need to have plans! I haven't quite reached that stage myself, I usually like having a plan, even if the plan is just to chill and read! Lol!

    Nice lineup of reads! Mostly new to me ones but I did read Hemlock Island already and quite enjoyed it! It was eerie and weird and just my kind of read! Lol! Hope you enjoy all your reads lined up for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful visit with your friend! And great that she introduced you to a wonderful new-to-you series on audio, too. Looks like some nice variety for you lately. I'm impressed that you manage to read and review SO many books! I had to cut my reviewing back this year - nice not to be constantly behind now! Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been curious about the Peabody books for ages. Murder at Midnight sounds great also. I love the look of the MacDonald book as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed at how you stay ahead of your review books, too! So organized!
    The first two Amelia Peabody books are all I've listened to. I really need to get The Mummy Case into the line-up. The series was hard to find as downloadable audio back when I was looking for them, so maybe they're easier to find now!
    That November Nalini Singh looks deliciously creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see several tempting titles, including the Elly Griffiths book and Lessons in Chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listening to audiobooks sounds like a great way to spend the time with your friend. :-) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for a nice quiet week with your friend, and a new book love! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doing nothing is the best. I'm glad you had fun with your friend. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the Amelia Peabody recommendation. Seems like they are all on Audible Plus except the first one - might be worth spending a credit on...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been busy!
    Elly Griffiths: vol 9? oh my, and I still need to red #1, lol.
    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amelia Peabody is a fun series, especially on audio. I need to move on with the series. And you can't go wrong with Patricia C. Wrede either. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. That's a lot of books! I was going to say the one cozy mystery looked good until you said the characters were whiney.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a nice visit. It's great not to have a plan sometimes. Lots of good books this week. I am also reading Murder at Midnight. Hope you have a wonderful week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a nice visit for you.
    I would enjoy to read Amelia Peabody again. Thanks for letting me know they are available on Plus.
    You also been getting some books at Chirp that I would like. I'll go look again.
    I like the looks of Murder at Midnight and Chasing Justice...plus more. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!