Monday, December 4, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (December 4, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another nice quiet week. It is hard to believe that it is December already. Our temperatures have been warmer than average, and we have only a dusting of snow on the ground in shaded areas. No more snow than flurries are expected for this week too. I'm glad because I need to chauffeur my brother to an eye appointment early on Monday morning. I think his appointment is at 8 AM which is at least an hour before I usually get up. Snowy roads would be adding insult to injury.

I bought way more than usual this week since Audible had a sale on the In Death series by J. D. Robb for $3.66 and I bought way too many of them. I now own all the full-length novels. I don't own any of the novellas on audio but have them all on my Kindle. 

I did prepare my State of the Stack post and then went to NetGalley to look for more review copies. My new ones are listed below. I also added a few to my NetGalley wishlist which has eight books I hope to be approved to read.

I had Cold Curses by Chloe Neill on my calendar for this week but have decided that, since this is the final book in the series, I need to reread the earlier books. I substituted from my physical TBR pile The Strangers on Montagu Street by Karen White. It had been sitting on the shelf since 2017 when I read the first in the series and also bought copies of books two and four in the series for my Kindle. I really enjoyed it and plan to reread the first book and read the rest of the seven-book series in the (hopefully) near future. I added Kindle copies of books five through seven which I didn't own. 

This week my main focus will be on reading books from my review stack that are being released on January 9.

November Reading

I read 32 books in November including 21 that were mine and 11 review books. Among the ones that were mine 4 were from my TBR pile, 15 were rereads and 14 of the fifteen rereads were audiobooks. I read 12,291 pages and listened for 199.4 hours. 

I added 47 books to my collection. I was actually doing pretty well in holding down my purchases and other additions until the last week of the month. From November 26 through November 30, I added six review books, 13 audiobooks, and a keeper copy of a review book I had read and enjoyed. 

In November I added 18 audiobooks to my collection including 5 from Chirp. I also added 11 new review copies. Nineteen of my new additions are rereads, i.e. copies of books in my collection. Most of the rereads are audiobooks but a few are Kindle replacements of print books. 

Forty-one of the new additions are still on the TBR pile. Most of them are rereads and review copies though. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters (Audiobook reread) -- 13th in the Amelia Peabody series takes place in 1915. My review will be posted on December 26.
  • The Secret of the Lady's Maid by Darcie Wilde (Review; December 26) -- Second in the Useful Woman mystery series. Entertaining historical mystery. My review will be posted on December 26.
  • Holiday in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook reread)
  • Festive in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook Reread)
  • Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook Reread)
  • Broadcast Blues by R. G. Belsky (Review; January 2) -- Sixth in the Clare Carlson mystery series. This time Clare is investigating a car bombing which kills a controversial former cop/private investigator. My review will be posted on December 27.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
Audible had a sale and I also added 41 of the In Death books this week for $3.66 each. I think I have all of the series on audio now but I'm not sure. I'm pretty close if I don't yet have them all. 

What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful haul. I used to read a lot of Chloe Neill. I'm really hoping to dive back into urban fantasy a lot in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had an eye appt today too. At least it wasn't a dentist appt :)

    The new Rachel Hawkins looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wish that the Audible Canada sale would have a sale like that! Good for you to stock up your bookshelves. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buying books is so much fun. Hope you enjoy the rest of the Tradd Street series. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book sales are always nice...and dangerous! Lol! Hope you scored some good ones!

    Nice lineup of reads! I'm actually getting close to reading Cold Curses myself. I'm hoping to finish Devouring Darkness tomorrow. I'm not ready for the goodbye to Chicagoland once more, but am eager to see what Chloe will write next!

    Happy Reading!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had another great reading month. That Audible sale sounds like a great one. Your list of books look so good. I hope you enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a ton of great books. I've been going back to Netgally for some reads lately and have been enjoying the books I've been downloading. I plan to read more after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I didn't know Cold Curses was the end of the series, which is too bad, I enjoy the series and the world. Sounds like pretty good stats for the month, even with the end of the month additions! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!