Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Book Review: Gifted: A Holiday Anthology by Kelley Armstrong

Gifted: A Holiday Anthology
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication: Traverse Press (November 13, 2014)

Description: Two holiday stories for fans of Kelley Armstrong...

Gabriel’s Gargoyles - (A Cainsville short story)
Cainsville was where a boy could walk the streets safely at any time, day or night. Where everyone was genuinely glad to see you, and didn’t think you were odd if you wanted to keep to yourself, because Cainsville was odd, too. For one thing, there are the gargoyles. But unlike the others, Gabriel doesn’t believe the carven creatures came to life to protect the town. It’s up to a boy to protect himself. Now he’s determined to find the last hidden gargoyle by winter Solstice. He’s also determined to get the perfect gift for his great-aunt Rose. And when Gabriel Walsh sets goals, he achieves them…one way or another.

The Puppy Plan (an Otherworld novella)
When Logan finds an puppy abandoned by the roadside a few days before Christmas, he knows it’s a sign. His sister Kate wants a dog more than anything. Their parents aren’t completely opposed to the idea. It’s just a bad time. A really bad time. Maybe next year. But now there’s this puppy in need of a home and a girl in need of a pet… So how does a boy who always plays by the rules give his sister what she wants most?

My Thoughts: I enjoyed both of these stories very much. I think I liked Gabriel's Gargoyles best because it let me see some of the things that made Gabriel into the man he is in the Cainsville books. He was determined to rise above the abuse and neglect he experienced at his drug-addicted mother's hands. I liked that he was resilient but still felt incredibly sorry that he was left in such an awful situation.

The Puppy Plan was also enjoyable. I liked being able to see Logan's viewpoint. I liked his sense of responsibility and his wish to give his sister the best Christmas present ever. I could feel how conflicted he was at having to disobey his parents for what he believed was the greater good.

Both stories were nice opportunities to revisit two of the worlds Armstrong has created and were fine ways to spend time while waiting for the next novels.

I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!