Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday Memes: Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I chose Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King from my TBR mountain. I love the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series and could have sworn I've read this one but it wasn't in my LibraryThing account. Here is the description:
Laurie R. King’s New York Times< bestselling novels of suspense featuring Mary Russell and her husband, Sherlock Holmes, comprise one of today’s most acclaimed mystery series. Now, in their newest and most thrilling adventure, the couple is separated by a shocking circumstance in a perilous part of the world, each racing against time to prevent an explosive catastrophe that could clothe them both in shrouds. In a strange room in Morocco, Mary Russell is trying to solve a pressing mystery: Who am I? She has awakened with shadows in her mind, blood on her hands, and soldiers pounding on the door. Out in the hivelike streets, she discovers herself strangely adept in the skills of the underworld, escaping through alleys and rooftops, picking pockets and locks. She is clothed like a man, and armed only with her wits and a scrap of paper containing a mysterious Arabic phrase. Overhead, warplanes pass ominously north.

Meanwhile, Holmes is pulled by two old friends and a distant relation into the growing war between France, Spain, and the Rif Revolt led by Emir Abd el-Krim—who may be a Robin Hood or a power mad tribesman. The shadows of war are drawing over the ancient city of Fez, and Holmes badly wants the wisdom and courage of his wife, whom he’s learned, to his horror, has gone missing. As Holmes searches for her, and Russell searches for her self, each tries to crack deadly parallel puzzles before it’s too late for them, for Africa, and for the peace of Europe.

With the dazzling mix of period detail and contemporary pace that is her hallmark, Laurie R. King continues the stunningly suspenseful series that Lee Child called “the most sustained feat of imagination in mystery fiction today.”
Beginning:
I was in bed. A bed, at any rate.
Friday 56:
One of the others made a remark. The two talked back and forth for a minute in Tjamazigth, then the spokesman returned to his narrative. "I am sorry, Monsieur, but Massim here says that it was no so much a case of the two speaking, as it was her asking questions."

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one! I do love mysteries and husband and wife teams. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE LIFE YOU’VE IMAGINED”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a gripping story. I love the Sherlock Holmes character but haven't read any of the books in this series. Looks like I've been missing out on some great books!
    My Friday post features VIDAL’S HONOR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I'm looking forward to reading this one. I'm several books behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting snippets, especially the 56, but that cover is alluring!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the title. Another new author to me, and I love Conan Doyle's Sherlock so anticipate reading this oone.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!