Monday, December 15, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 15, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Where did this last week go? Seems like it was yesterday that I was thinking back on last week. This one included the 3rd & 4th grade music program at school and a townhouse association meeting on Tuesday evening. Otherwise, it was a quiet week.

My Christmas tree is out of the closet but still in the box as I am writing this which makes me one step closer to decorating. The Christmas tree is up and lit as I write. When I put it away, I left all the ornaments on. All I had to do was fluff out the branches and wrap the garland (which I also put in the same box as the tree). I have a closet full of other decorations that I could pull out if I get really ambitious. I should go looking for my stuffed Santa.

The weather has been downright weird for December in Minnesota. We're expecting the temperature to get near 50 degrees F today. It has been gloomy, foggy and misty for the past few days. That makes slippery roads in the mornings until the day warms enough to melt the ice off the roads. Most of our snow is gone though we are expecting some on Monday night. We have a good chance of having a snow-free Christmas this year.

Right now, I still don't know if I will be having company for Christmas. My brother hasn't let me know if he is planning to come down to see me. I should hear this week.

For some reason, I didn't finish very many books this week. Owl took a while to read. I enjoyed it but I kept getting distracted. 

Read Last Week
The Unicorn Hunter by Che Golden was an interesting middle grade fantasy novel. It takes place in Ireland and mines Irish myth for its fantasy elements. It is the second book in a series and I haven't read the first one. I liked the story but had some trouble with the main character. My review will be posted on January 3.

This must have been my week to have issues with main characters because I also did with the main character of Owl and the Japanese Circus by Kristi Charish. This is a new urban fantasy book that mines Japanese myth for its fantasy characters. The main character is an ex-archaeologist turned antiquities thief who gets involved in finding an artifact for a Japanese dragon. My review will be posted on January 8.
I read The Hound at the Gate by Darby Karchut which will be released on January 13. This is the third book in her Finn MacCullen series. This is a great fantasy series for middle graders. Every new book is filled with magic, adventure, danger and great relationships. I was blown away when I was reading the Acknowledgements at the end and saw my name. Thanks, Darby! My review will be posted on January 7.

Currently
I am reading Night Shift by Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, Lisa Shearin and Milla Vane. I have finished the stories by Singh and Andrews and enjoyed them both. Right now I am reading Lisa Shearin's story and loving it. I just ordered the SPI novel and pre-ordered the 2nd SPI novel. 

Next Week
I had Bastion by Mercedes Lackey on my stack a while ago but had to set is aside for some adult review books. I have a gap in my reviewing schedule and am going to try to read this one this week. It is the 5th in Lackey's Collegium series about the early days of Valdemar.

Then it's back to review books.  Too Hot to Handle by Katie Rose appealed to me because I really love sports romances. This is a January 27 release and is the 2nd book in The Boys of Summer series. I have the first one on my Kindle and am going to try to read that one too before the end of December.

All of the YA books on my stack for this week are review books releasing in January.
The Prey by Tom Isbell (Jan. 20)
Polaris by Mindee Arnett (Jan. 20)
The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark (Jan. 15)
The Rule of Three: Fight for Power by Eric Walters (Jan. 20)
 
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
 I'm expecting another quiet week ahead. The finale for The Voice is this week. So there will be television watching. I hope there will also be a lot of reading time. 
 
What are your plans for the week ahead? Leave me a link and I'll be sure to stop by. 

8 comments:

  1. My husband suggests leaving the decorations on the tree every year but I won't let him LOL
    Hope the weather settles down and you have a great week,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great review books on that list! Our weather has been weird as well. Totally not winter like. But I'm okay with it for now. Kind of enjoying the nice weather. Although it's also making me feel like I should be going ahead and getting outside and walking.
    Check out my Monday Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea which I've never heard of. Makes life easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I'm not the only one that leaves ornaments on the tree...LOL. I have three miniature trees, and they are easy to put away "fully loaded," requiring only a little fluffing when I bring them out. Makes life easier.

    Enjoy your books...they are all new to me...Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're in the 50s as well today. Rainy yuckiness as well! Which is odd for December for us too!

    New to me reads! Glad you enjoyed them despite being distracted! Hope you enjoy this week's reads as well!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these are new books to me! Hope you enjoy them and have a great reading week! :)

    Here’s my Monday! Plus check out the giveaway I’m hosting for a YA medieval novel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you decorate! Sounds so simple - may have to copy you next year! Cheers and Merry Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your tree is up - novel method!
    and just the weather we had last week - foggy, melting and felt like spring :)
    HapPy reading week - I have a LOT of Christmas reads on mine - love them...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!