Monday, December 1, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 1, 2014)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I had a very quiet Thanksgiving break. Bad weather forced my brother to cancel his trip to see me and left me with lots and lots of Thanksgiving leftovers. I think I could be eating Thanksgiving dinner for all of next week. However, much as I love turkey and stuffing, I'll be freezing the rest of the turkey for a later time. 

I didn't go out to do any shopping. I spent the days off quietly at home reading and blogging. I've set up posts for almost all of January and now I just need to read the books. I did have time to do some extra reading and have posts completed and scheduled through Christmas Day on this blog and through December 23 on my other blog. 

Coming up this week will be the first elementary school music program of the season on Friday. Otherwise it should be a quiet week.   
 
Read Last Week
 Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas is the third book (of four) in the Throne of Glass series. Because it has been so long since I read the earlier books, I found it hard to get into this story. Once I did, I really enjoyed it. My review will be posted on December 13.

Cajun Nights by D. J. Donaldson is the first book in this mystery series. It is being re-released now. I had been meaning to try this series and was glad to be offered a review copy. It had some rough edges but I liked the characters enough to look for more books in the series. My review will be posted on December 18.
This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner will be released on  December 23. I enjoyed this science fiction/mystery/romance. I can't wait for the third book to find out how it all resolves. My review will be posted on December 18.

Heist Society by Ally Carter was a pick from my TBR mountain. Carter has a new book coming out in January and I wanted to catch up on ones I haven't had a chance to read yet before getting that new one. I really liked the characters in this story. My review will be posted on December 20.
Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King has Mary Russell and her husband Sherlock Holmes in Morocco and getting involved in the conflict between the French protectors, the Spanish protectors and the two rebel factions. It was filled with action and rich historical detail. My review will be posted on December 20.

Blood Magick by Nora Roberts is the concluding story in the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy. It features Fin and Branna's romance which is filled with angst. While I enjoyed this one, I don't think it was one of her best. My review will be posted on December 25.

Currently


I haven't start my next book yet but it will be Love and Other Theories by Alexis Bass. That book is my last on the December review stack. 

Next Week
These two books are next for young adult reads. Endlessly by Kiersten White is from my TBR mountain and will let me finally finish a series. It has been on my stack since July 24, 2012.


Love and Other Theories by Alexis Bass is an eARC and my final December review book. (Good thing too because I have sixteen review books on my stack for January.)
I can't wait to read the Night Shift anthology because it has stories by two of my favorite urban fantasy authors - Nalini Singh and Ilona Andrews. But first I'll be reading three January release review books. 

Carousel Seas by Sharon Lee is the final book in her Archers beach contemporary fantasy series. I can't wait to revisit that richly detailed world and see what the characters I enjoy are doing. This is a January 6 release.
Two other January 6 releases are also on my stack. 

Hungry Like the Wolf by Paige Tyler and Private Affair by Rebecca York were NetGalley finds for me.Both are the latest additions to series I haven't read. The first has werewolves which made it especially appealing to me. The second is a romantic suspense title.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
What do you have planned for the upcoming week? Leave me a link and I'll be sure to visit.

11 comments:

  1. Wow...what a week and what an assortment of titles.

    D. J. Donaldson seems to have written quite a few books or am I mistaken?

    Love the cover on Garment of Shadows.

    ENJOY your reading week, and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointing your brother couldn't make it. still, at least you had time to read! Can't believe you made it through so many books. Am jealous. What was your favourite? Emma @ Onceuponalittlefield

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice! I did most of my shopping online and made myself broke. But I think I need to return a few of the things too! LOL! Too much impulse buying & not thinking bc I wasn't sure how long it would be on sale or what stores would look like the next day!

    I was very bad with my reading in that I didn't do any over the break. could also be in part that I wasn't really enjoying my current read at the time. Oh well!

    Hope you have a great reading week this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the weather changed your plans for Thanksgiving. We were lucky my brother traveled a day early to beat the storm. I avoided shopping, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love looks very intriguing. Think I'll add it to my wishlist!

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, too bad about your brother--but time to read is always nice! I think we are all about ready to move on from the Thanksgiving leftovers . . . I'm ready to cook something tomorrow night that has nothing to do with turkey or mashed potatoes! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover for Garment of Shadows is beautiful! I have to remember to start that series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our church/school Christmas concert is coming up this week, too. Ah, the craziness! Good thing you had a pretty quiet Thanksgiving break to help you prepare. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you didn't get a visit from your brother. I know some of our family stayed home due to the stormy weather last week.
    I don't know how you do so much reading PLUS have your posts ready for months ahead. I'm lucky to have one or two posts ready ahead of time.
    I enjoyed the DJ Donaldson I read last month. I'm thinking of checking out the Throne of Glass series.
    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have some pretty epic reads on here! Hope you enjoy them all and thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Disappointing the weather prevented your brother from coming but would be nice to be so organised on your blog ... wish I was lol. I'm looking forward to This Shattered World next week, glad to hear you enjoyed it!
    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!