Monday, December 29, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 29, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. My was quiet but very nice. My brother arrived on Wednesday afternoon and left for home again on Sunday morning. We did a lot of talking, movie watching, and eating. We also did some computer stuff as I taught him more about Google Docs. It was great to see him and spend time with him.

The rest of my break should be quieter. Other than a dentist appointment, I don't have to go anywhere. I hope to have lots of time to read and relax.

Read Last Week
The Prey by Tom Isbell begins a new dystopian trilogy wherein undesirable young men are raised to be hunted for sport and young women are put in camps where medical experiments are done to them. The story is told from one girl and one boy's point of view. My review will be posted on January 15.

Twisted Fate by Norah Olson was a twisty, psychological thriller with a surprise ending. Since it had been compared to WE WERE LIARS, I spent the book trying to figure out what was really happening. The ending still caught me completely by surprise. My review will be posted on January 17.
Bastion by Mercedes Lackey finishes Mags' story arc as he grows from starved mine slave to Herald of Valdemar. I liked the way the story wrapped up. My review will be posted on January 17.

Playlist for the Dead by Michelle Falkoff was an excellent debut novel told by a young man who is trying to understand his best friend's suicide. He is cycling between anger and guilt and learns that he isn't as alone as he thought he was. My review will be posted on January 22.
I read Bring on the Heat by Katie Rose which was a nice sports romance about a house sitter mistaken for the woman she house sits for and a major league pitcher. The chemistry between them was explosive and I liked both characters. My review will be posted on January 24.

The Inquisitor's Mark by Dianne K. Salerni is the second book in the Eighth day series and sees Jax learning more about his father's family. It is packed with adventure, danger, and lots of tough choices. My review will be posted on January 24.

Currently


I just finished The Inquisitor's Mark and will soon be starting Dream of Danger

Next Week


All review books for the young adults this week and all from my TBR mountain for the adult books this week. All my YA books are print ARCs.
I just got Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells as a Kindle Daily Deal and, since I'm in the mood for some urban fantasy, I hope to read it this week.

I'll also be reading two more books in the Brown and DeLuca series by Maggie Shayne. I'll start with Dream of Danger and then read Innocent Prey. That will leave just Deadly Obsession (also on my Kindle) to read before I'm caught up on the series.
I have my final two January review books on my stack for this week. The Stolen Moon by Rachel Searles in a middle grade science fiction story and the second in a series. Cut Me Free by J. R. Johansson is a contemporary thriller that I got from Macmillan.


Beastkeeper by Cat Hellison is the first of my February review books. I got this ARC from Macmillan too. 

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
One of the books on the stack for next week will be my first book of the year. I don't know which yet. It depends on how much I read earlier in the week. 
 
I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a wonderful start to 2015. Leave me a link and I'll come visit. 

11 comments:

  1. I love nice, quiet holidays. Glad you enjoyed yours.

    Lots of tempting reads! Enjoy.....and I love the look of Twisted Fate, as I enjoyed We Were Liars.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great reading week and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you that your brother arrived in time for Christmas day. Enjoy your quiet time before returning to school, lots of good reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh nice! Some new to me ones here but I did read Dirty Magic earlier this year! I liked it! Hope you enjoy all your reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing some good things about Playlist for the Dead. I'll have to give it a look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when there is no place to go. :)

    Glad you enjoyed the time with your brother. ENJOY the rest of your time off.

    Nice week. Playlist for the Dead is one of your books that interests me.

    ENJOY your week of reading, and thanks for coming by my blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these yet, but it sounds like you have some wonderful books lined up for the holiday break!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. BTW, I have two cousins named Kathy Martin, though one goes by Kath and the other by Katy :)

    Enjoy your books this week and Happy New Year!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bring on the Heat looks good. I love books set around baseball.

    Enjoy all those great books! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beastkeeper sounds good and that cover is so pretty! Have a wonderful week and a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed your holiday visit with your brother.
    You have quite a group of books there. The Prey looks interesting. I haven't read Maggie Shayne in a long time but I have a couple of older titles on my shelf. Enjoy the rest of your break with lots of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoy the books your reading! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!