Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Dead Reckoning
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publication: Ace Hardcover; First Edition edition (May 3, 2011)


Description: With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover Eric Northman and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, Sookie is drawn into the plot-which is much more complicated than she knows...


My Thoughts: This was a frenetically busy episode in Sookie's life. In the course of two days Merlotte's is fire-bombed, baddies invade Merlotte's and attempt to hurt Sookie, other baddies invade her house and attempt to kidnap her, Sookie and Eric are invited to visit Victor's new joint and Victor attempts a number of power-plays, Sookie and Eric have a number of misunderstandings and she breaks her blood bond with him, Sookie accompanies her cousin's son Hunter to Kindergarten round-up, Sookie plans a baby shower and an assassination, and Sookie learns more about her grandmother's relationship with faeries. 


This is definitely not an entry point for people who are not familiar with the Sookie Stackhouse series. It felt very much like a "middle book." While there was movement on a lot of plot threads, there was very little closure on anything. There was so much action that character development took the back seat. Sookie does realize that her attitudes about almost everything are changing and she still regrets the more morally certain Sookie that she left behind. 


One plot thread that really interested me was Sookie's changing relationship with faeries. She knows that Claude and Dermot have agendas that she isn't aware of and now she is starting to worry about what they are. She knows that being around faeries makes her feel good but she is wondering if the good feeling has a hidden cost. 


This was a quick read. I got caught up in the story and didn't want to put the book down. I enjoyed the wild ride. I look forward to the next book to see if some of the loose threads in this story get tied off.


Favorite Quote:
"I try to burn you up, and the fire goes out." She was still at full volume. "I give those jerks free drugs and sex, and send them to grab you, and they bungle it. I try your house, and the magic won't let me enter. I've tried to kill you over and over, and you just won't die!"


I almost felt like apologizing.
I bought this book for my personal collection. You can get yours in hardcover, ebook or audio at Amazon too.

4 comments:

  1. GREAT quote!! That was actually the one I used in my Teaser Tuesday post when I was reading this one!! Good review! I liked this one, but I still kind of miss the mystery that used to be the foundation in the series.

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of my favourite quotes as well ! I'm really looking forward to the next book now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote too! I love this series and cannot wait to see how it all ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, love the quote! xD I really need to catch up to this series, but I think one of its charms is that it has a lot of plot threads. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!