Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Original Sin by Beth McMullen

Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings
 
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 

If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
 
The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

I usually try not to choose a book that hasn't been published yet for my Friday memes. I know it bugs me if I get excited about a book and have to wait months for it to appear in bookstores. But I am making an exception for Original Sin: A Sally Sin Adventure by Beth McMullen because it has such a great opening sentence. It isn't being published until July 12 but....

Beginning:
I know I'm not crazy. I know this because it said so in my file, which I stole out of Director Gray's office on a drunken dare from a guy who eventually disappeared in Somalia.
Sally Sin has walked away from being a spy and is now a housewife in San Francisco. She is a stay-at-home mom with a three-year-old son and a loving husband. No one knows that she was a spy and she wants to keep it that way. Unfortunately, her life as a spy isn't willing to let her go.

Friday 56:
And I didn't fancy dying in a dusty old apartment building with this lunatic.
I'll have to admit that I am fascinated with stories about the most unlikely spies. I loved the Mrs. Pollifax stories when I was younger. I can't wait to read this one.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to read this one! I found it on Library Thing awhile ago and did a Waiting on Wednesday post about it. Thanks for reminding me that I want to order it!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to get confirmation of your sanity--if it's in writing it must be true!

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-beginnings-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL good one! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beginning! This books sounds terrific. I'll have to look out for it.

    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-beginningson-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great opener. Now we all have to hold our breath!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!