Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review: Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

Hard Bitten
Author: Chloe Neill
Publication: New American Library; 1 edition (May 3, 2011)


Description: "Neill creates a strong-minded, sharp-witted heroine who will appeal to fans of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake." -Library Journal 

Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals-and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are...tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else.

Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society-a world full of vampires who seem ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands... 




My Thoughts: What can I say? I just love this series. Merit and I would be BFFs for sure. I love her quick wit and her sense of honor too. I loved that she just didn't forgive Ethan and go on. I also loved that Ethan knew that he would have to work to regain her trust and her love. The relationship adds a lot of tension to the story.


Tension is the name of the game here. The mayor is putting pressure on the House and on Ethan to stop the vampire raves that are getting increasing dangerous. The head of the GP is putting pressure on Ethan and the House because he wants them to back off from getting involved with the mayor. He thinks the house should keep a low profile. Then there are the protesters and vigilantes who want the vampires to leave Chicago. 


As Sentinel, Merit must protect Ethan and the house. Luckily she has some contacts that she can call on. After all, her grandfather is the ombudsman to all the supernaturals and her best friend's boyfriend is a sorcerer. Her best friend is also a sorcerer and is learning to use her magic too. Merit has to give her a pep talk when she is afraid that some of the magic is black. It was a great indication of the strength of their friendship. Merit is also being wooed by the Red Guard whose duty is to police the Masters. Merit's loyalty to Ethan has made her hesitant to get involved with them though.


This was a very fast paced episode in the series that came to a conclusion that I did not see coming. I really look forward to the next book in the series to find out what happens now.


I recommend this book to lovers of urban fantasy who like a strong, smart main character. If you haven't tried this series, why not? They are well written examples of urban fantasy that will suck you in and make you care about the characters.

Favorite Quote:
The line went dead, so I tucked the phone away. There were more drama and complications with each day that passed.

Rarely did a night pass without more vampire drama.

Sometimes hanging out in pajamas with a good book sounded like a phenomenal idea.
I bought this one in print from Amazon. You can get it too in trade paperback or for your Kindle.

1 comment:

  1. Totally loved this one too!! Merit is one of my top fave heroines that I could so be BFFs with! I love her sense of humor and her attitude! She is just an amazing character! Very relate-able!

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!