Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review: Evil Ways by Justin Gustainis

Evil Ways
Author: Justin Gustainis
Publication: Solaris (December 29, 2009)


Description: In a story that range from Baghdad to Los Angeles, EVIL WAYS see eccentric billionaire, Walter Grobius, attempt to unleash a devastating magical apocalypse. Quincey Morris, and his partner, white witch Libby Chastain, are drawn into their most deadliest case yet...


My Thoughts: This second case for Morris and Chastain ramps up the intensity of the first case. Someone, in fact a group of someones, are killing children and harvesting their organs. Morris is blackmailed by FBI Agent Dale Fenton and his new white witch partner Colleen O'Donnell to investigate the case. Meanwhile, someone is targeting and killing white witches and have made a few unsuccessful attempts to kill Libby Chastain. 


Quincey has Libby join him to help with his investigation and to protect her too. To provide additional protection, he enlists Hannah Widmark who is another very dangerous character. Both the FBI investigation and Quincy and Libby's investigation start pointing the same direction. A black magician named Lewis Pardee is planning something big. Like, lay waste to the Earth big.


Pardee is funded by zillionaire Walter Grobius who is hoping for healing from his terminal illness and extended life. Pardee has other goals. The action is tense in this one. I love the relationship between Quincey and Libby. They are friends and partners but have no romantic interest in each other. Both respect the other's competence and together they are a very formidable team.


This was another great urban fantasy that was filled with action and adventure. 


Favorite Quote:
"Gotta do something," he said. "And that's better than screaming, which is what I really feel like doing. See, Colleen, it's not that I believe that that Grobius and Pardee are actually gonna call up Satan tonight out there in Coeur d'Alene. And if they do manage to pull that trick off, I don't believe that they won't be able to control him, he'll get loose, and as the saying goes, lay waste to the world. I don't believe that, okay?"

"Okay, then why are you--"

"I'm here because I don't f***ing disbelieve it. And if that shit's a possibility, I mean if it's even a one percent chance...then I gotta do what I can to stop it."
I bought my copy at Amazon. You can get yours there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!