Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Book Review: Blood Work: An Original Hollows Graphic Novel by Kim Harrison

Blood Work: An Original Hollows Graphic Novel
Author: Kim Harrison
Illustrators: Pedro Maia and Gemma Magno
Publication: Del Rey (July 12, 2011)


Description: When Ivy met Rachel, the result wasn’t exactly love at first sight. Sparks flew as the living vampire and the stubborn witch learned what it meant to be partners. Now Kim Harrison, the acclaimed author of Pale Demon and Black Magic Sanction, turns back the clock to tell the tale—in an original full-color graphic novel.

Hot-as-hell, tough-as-nails detective Ivy Tamwood has been demoted from homicide down to lowly street-crime detail. As if rousting trolls and policing pixies instead of catching killers wasn’t bad enough, she’s also been saddled with a newbie partner who’s an earth witch. It’s enough to make any living vampire bare her fangs. But when a coven of murderous witches begins preying on werewolves, Rachel Morgan quickly proves she’s a good witch who knows how to be a badass.

Together, Ivy and Rachel hit the mean streets to deal swift justice to the evil element among Cincinnati’s supernatural set. But there’s more to their partnership than they realize—and more blood and black magic in their future than they bargained for.




My Thoughts: I think that I am not as visual as the average person. I get my information from words and sounds. Therefore, a graphic novel is not my favorite form of the written word. But I am a fan of the Hollows series and thought I would give it a try.


I can recognize that the images were well-drawn and well-colored. The action flowed. But for me the story was shallow. I missed the nuances that can be done with text. The story was about the first meeting of Ivy and Rachel and their first case together. It is told from Ivy's point of view and emphasizes her attraction to Rachel.


Generally it sets up their personality types. Rachel is more impulsive than Ivy. Ivy is more controlled and self-contained. 


I think that fans of graphic novels and the Hollows series will like this new addition to the body of work. 


Favorite Quote (from the introduction):
Writing has always been a way for me to share the thoughts and images in my head. I've been playing with the written word for a good bit of time now, but nothing I can put on paper will surmount the simple fact that we are a visual species, highly tuned to to the subtle shifts of expression and body language. It's the limits of the medium.
I bought this one at Amazon. You can get your copy there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!