Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Dragon Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller


Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader.
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
I recently bought the eARC of Dragon Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller from Baen Books. This is the fourth in the Theo Waitley sequence in the Liaden Universe series. The book won't actually be published until September 2012 and I have already pre-ordered my copy. This is a largely uncorrected proof. The quotes I have chosen are subject to change and may be different in the final, edited version that appears in September. I am such a fan of this series that I had to have it as soon as it was available.

Here is the description:
Stirring space adventure from master storytellers Sharon Lee and Steve Miller – #15 in the award-winning Liaden Universe® saga. Space ships, action, adventure – all tied together with a strong dollop of romance and intrigue – make this a compelling series for a wide range of readers, from romance to military SF lovers.

First Class courier pilot Theo Waitley was already known as a nexus of violence – and then she inherited the precarious captaincy of a mysterious self-aware ship designed to serve a long dead trader. Now she has a trade route to run for Clan Korval while she convinces the near mythic ghost ship Bechimo – and herself – that she wants to commit herself as the human side to their immensely powerful symbiosis. While her former lover battles a nano-virus that's eating him alive, she's challenged to rescue hundreds of stranded pilots and crewmen from an explosive situation in near orbit around a suddenly hostile planet. Lovers, enemies, an ex-roomie, and a jealous spaceship are all in peril as Theo wields power that no one in the universe is sure of, especially her.
Beginning:
Whatever else he might be--and the theories, legends, and outright guesses surrounding that question were legion--the Uncle was a man of his word.
Uncle is a recurring character in the Liaden Universe books who is always portrayed as a man of mystery and someone to be dealt with cautiously.

Friday 56:
"What the devil did you do out there, lassie? All at once, there's people everywhere!"
Clearly Theo is getting herself into trouble again. But then, trouble seems to follow her wherever she goes. She is usually smart enough and lucky enough to turn the trouble to her advantage. 


3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book, I'll have to add it to my list. I almost ordered a pre-release Arc of "Elfholme" but since it comes out in a few weeks I managed to hold off but I totally understand why you couldn't wait till September...lol! I'll have to order the first book in this series and start from there.

    Here's my Friday Meme Post: http://tinyurl.com/d3nnp87

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to stifle a laugh, though I'm still unclear as to why....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Liaden series and have a signed copy per-ordered. Here is my post:

    BBF

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!