Monday, September 30, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (September 30, 2019)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

Most of my reading this week has been from The New American Heart Association Cookbook (9th Edition) as my brother and I are learning what his new diet has to look like after his triple bypass surgery. Of course, it won't hurt me at all to be on the same kind of diet as we have many of the same medical issues. I didn't think that I was a picky eater but I can't stand cilantro and it appears in so many of the recipes we'd like to try. Someone said I could substitute parsley so I'll give that a try.

I picked him up from the hospital on Monday afternoon and my new cookbook arrived on Tuesday. We have been to many grocery stores looking for ingredients. We've also been to other stores looking for various and sundry goods. I have to do all the driving for at least six weeks and he doesn't like to stay at home.

While he had a haircut on Wednesday, I walked around the Mall and, while he had his first session of cardio rehab on Thursday, I walked the Skywalk between all the medical buildings and got my flu shot. I also got out to Curves four times this week. It should be a really good week for steps when I get my Fitbit report.

He'll be having 36 sessions of cardio rehab from 10 - 11 AM Monday, Wednesday, and Friday starting this Monday. I'll probably get in some steps while he is in his sessions and hit Curves in the afternoon. Theoretically, I could go to Curves before I take him to rehab since they open at 5:45 AM but I am NOT a morning person.

The young lady who is managing Bill's rehab was surprised at how thin his medical file was. He hadn't had a physical since 1999. All that will be changing now! He has an appointment with a primary care doctor on Tuesday and a few other future appointments that I put on my Google Calendar. We learned that he also has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and is pre-diabetic. His bunch of daily medications almost equals the number I take each day though some of his are temporary. 

We have hired someone to mow our lawn for the rest of the growing season and have a couple of possibilities for snow removal which, hopefully, we won't need for another month or six weeks. It looks like we are able to settle into what will be our new normal and still get everything done.

We got our second power bill since installing solar. This month our bill was $10.61. Subtract the service fees and taxes and we produced all but $1 worth of the power we used. I was concerned because we had so many cloudy days but was really pleased with the result.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Deadly Little Scandals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (YA Review; Nov. 5) - Contemporary mystery for devoted fans of soap operas. It is filled with plot twists and drama. My review will be posted on Oct. 29.
  • Tell Me No Lies by Shelley Noble (Review; Nov. 5) - Historical mystery set among the upper crust in New York City in 1906-1907. Great characters and lots of historical detail. My review will be posted on Oct. 31.

Currently


Next Week


Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?


What was your week like?



11 comments:

  1. I hope your brother adjusts well to this new regimen. I’m so sorry that you both have to go through this.

    Your bill for power is amazing. I bet you feel proud of that.

    Enjoy all your good books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your brother is recovering nicely. I've substituted parsley for cilantro before (my husband hates cilantro), and it works! I will have to check out the Poppy Redfern series, I'm in the mood for a good mystery. Have a good week!

    https://wendimlee.blogspot.com/2019/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new diet and daily regimen are challenging, but you seem to have it all managed.

    I like the sound of that power bill using solar.

    Enjoy those books, which are definitely calling to me, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad his recovery is going well soofar, and good luck with the dietary changes! It was a challenge for me. :)

    Sounds like your solar investment is really paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parsley will have a similar crunch without the soapy taste. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of cilantro either. Just got the cookbook
    The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook. It is nice if you want to replace a meat meal or two. Hope your brother's recovery continues to go well and you benefit as well. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah many dietry changes but I bet you will get into the swing of things. I don't think I've ever eaten cilantro! But parsley yes! Hope all continues to be onwards and upwards. Great going with the solar panels. I enjoyed Archangel's War - yes lots of war which I am not that keen on, but so long as I know who is going to win!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the same thing as your brother and didnt go to a DR for over ten years then i became so sick that I was forced to go and start actually taking care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That power bill is amazing. Good for you guys for going that route!

    Glad to hear that your brother is progressing well - I am sorry that you both had to go through all of this though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And can you order groceries online and pick them up? Would that make things easier? Or have them delivered? My son is in a wheelchair most of the time (he has Cerebral Palsy) and I find that in the winter especially I utilize delivery or pickup - and we avoid germs too that way.

      Delete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!