Saturday, November 9, 2019

Book Review: Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers

Whose Body?
Author: Dorothy L. Sayers
Series: Lord Peter Wimsey Series Book 1
Publication: Rising Star Visionary Press (January 19, 2010)

Description: Lord Peter Wimsey investigates the sudden appearance of a naked body in the bath of an architect at the same time a noted financier goes missing under strange circumstances. As the case progresses, it becomes clear that the two events are linked in some way!

My Thoughts: This is the first adventure of Lord Peter Wimsey, amateur detective. His mother brings him his new case when she tells him that a body was found in the bathtub of "the little architect man who is doing the church roof." Lord Peter is intrigued and seizes on the chance to solve the mystery.

Then his friend Parker, who is a detective with Scotland Yard, brings him another puzzle. A Jewish financier named Sir Reuben Levy has also disappeared. Lord Peter's mother is a friend of the financier's wife which makes Peter eager to solve this problem too. While Inspector Sugg is certain that the body in the bath and the missing financier are the same man, neither Parker nor Lord Peter believe that to be the case. 

While Parker and Lord Peter, with the able assistance of his man Bunter, follow the clues and unearth potential villains, we get to know this bright young aristocrat who looks at solving crimes as a hobby and who is a veteran of World War I who came home with flashbacks and nightmares.

I enjoyed the witty dialog even though I cringed at some of the stereotypes in the story written in 1923. I liked the way the clues were all presented so that the reader could potentially identify the villain along with Lord Peter.

Favorite Quote:
"Most people don't associate anythin' - their ideas just roll about like so many dry peas on a tray, makin' a lot of noise and goin' nowhere, but once you begin lettin' 'em string their peas into a necklace, it's goin' to be strong enough to hang you, what?"
I bought and read this one years ago. I am rereading a new Kindle copy. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!