Saturday, January 18, 2020

Book Review: Boundary Broken by Melissa F. Olson

Boundary Broken
Author: Melissa F. Olson
Series: Boundary Magic (Book 4)
Publication: 47North (March 19, 2019)

Description: Years ago, boundary witch Allison “Lex” Luther made a promise to an alpha werewolf. Now, just when the supernatural community in Colorado is enjoying a period of hard-won peace, the alpha turns up at Lex’s door to call in his marker. Two of his pack members have disappeared in the Colorado sand dunes, and he needs safe passage to hunt for them.

With her friend Simon Pellar along for backup, Lex ventures into the dunes to search for the missing couple…but what they find is only the opening move in an ambitious assault against those who hold power in the Colorado Old World. An old enemy has returned to tear their peace apart, and Lex is soon embroiled in politics she doesn’t understand, from a time before she had magic.

To save her friends and her way of life, Lex will have to cross every line she’s drawn since learning what she is—and it may still be too late.

My Thoughts: This story begins with a werewolf calling in a favor. Lex had promised to help him and now he needs safe passage into Colorado to hunt for a couple of missing pack members. Lex goes along with witch Simon Pellar to help locate them. They find their bodies but that only deepens the mystery. When the werewolf who called Lex in is caught and murdered before he can get out of the State with his packmates bodies, Lex feels that there was something else she could have done to change things.

What Lex doesn't know is that the deaths of the werewolves is only the first move in a well-thought out plan to disrupt things in Colorado. The villain wants to change rulership of the covens of witches and grab power from Lex's boss Maven. To do this, the villain threatens Lex's four-year-old niece Charlie who is a null and under the protection of Maven.

Between conflicts among the witches, conflicts among the werewolves, conflicts with the vampires including her boyfriend Quinn, and Lex's own magic which she still doesn't know very much about, Lex has her hands full in this episode.

Even though it has been years since I read the first three books in this series, I felt right at home here. I really like Lex and the magical world that Melissa F. Olson has built.

Favorite Quote:
"Would it make you feel better," he said quietly, "if you yelled at me some more?"

I considered this for a minute. "It might," I said, "if I really understood what I'm upset about. I'm still...sorting through it."

He nodded.

"How about we turn our full attention to this werewolf thing, but I reserve the right to reopen this fight at a later date, when I know exactly what horrible thing you've done to piss me off."

Quinn smiled, as I'd hoped. "Sounds fair."

I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. I like good werewolf series and this sounds tempting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!