Monday, January 20, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 20, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

This has been a pretty quiet week. It snowed last Monday, Wednesday, Friday and today. It didn't really amount to much except for the six-eight inches we had overnight. The problem is that the St. Louis County snowplow drivers went on strike on Monday. They are in charge of plowing the county highways and so many of the most used roads in Duluth are county highways. The plowing is still being done with a smaller crew of supervisors and other county employees but, with fewer people, it is taking longer.

We didn't get the blizzard conditions that most of the rest of the State was expecting and receiving. Altogether it really didn't have much impact on the City of Duluth or my lifestyle. My brother had most of the week off and likes going out in this kind of stuff. So we got up to the gym for exercise on Wednesday and Friday which was enough for me.

I finished four books this week and DNFd one. All of them were from my review stack. I have a couple more review books to read for February but am also fitting in some of my own books. All of the new ones I bought this week were by favorite authors. And the new review books were also by authors I have read and enjoyed in the past. I am not feeling very adventurous in my reading choices lately.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong (Review; Feb. 4) - This is the fifth in the Rockton series of thrillers and was an entertaining addition to the series. I like the characters quite a bit. My review will be posted on Feb. 5.
  • Felicity Carrol and the Murderous Menace by Patricia Marcantonio (Review; Feb. 11) - Second in this historical mystery series. It has great historical detail. The only flaw might be a main character who is just too competent. My review will be posted on Feb. 4.

  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (Review; Feb. 4) - It was an interesting mystery filled with social media, a crime that impacts the detective, and lots of adventure and danger. My review will be posted on Jan. 29.
  • Golden in Death by J. D. Robb (Review; Feb. 4) - The 50th In Death mystery was a good addition to a long-running series. My review will be posted on Feb. 1.

DNF

  • Belle Revolte by Linsey Miller (Review; Feb. 4) - I wasn't feeling this YA Epic Fantasy with shades of The Prince and the Pauper and the apparently mandatory revolution. It was told from two viewpoints and I didn't care about either character. The worldbuilding was interesting with woman's magic and men's magic but ultimately not enough to keep me reading. 

Currently


Next Week

  • Still Life by Louise Penny (Mine) - First in a mystery series that is currently up to book 15.
  • The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James (Review; Feb. 18)


  • Belladonna by Anne Bishop (Mine) - second in the Ephemera trilogy
  • Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop (Mine) - third in the Ephemera trilogy

Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought
Review
What was your week like?

16 comments:

  1. I have the Sun Down Motel to review. It looks good. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great books here! I want to read A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, And the Sun Down Motel looks awesome too.
    Have a great week!

    Ash @ JennReneeRead

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to the new Rockton book. I love that series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? The snowplow drivers go on strike during snow season? What?

    This time of year I just want to settle down with a book that is a sure thing. I guess I am not feeling very venturesome either.

    Have a lovely week and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo for not getting the roads plowed quickly! Yay for your reading time. I hate DNFing but it happens :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great books this week. I hope you enjoy the Louise Penny series - I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice! I still need to read Kelley's release from last year to get caught up with this one! Then I want to read St. James' book from last year to see if I like her style before reading this one which also sounds amazing!

    Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Plow drivers on strike? In Minnesota?? That's just crazy!! Have a great week and happy reading!💜

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes about the snow plow drivers on strike!! Hopefully that gets wrapped up soon for all of you.

    Maybe it's the mid-January blues with our reading. Some of your thrillers are calling to me, I will have to give them a whirl.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someday I hope to read more of the J.D. Robb books. I've only read the first three.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the Sun Down Motel on my TBR shelf and am hoping to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone I know also loved The Sun Down Motel :) hope you'll enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s incredibly impressive that the JD Robb series is still going strong at 50 books, especially given all else she has written and published over the same period.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading Still Life now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad the snow isn't have too much impact for you.
    I have never thought to DNF a review book. Then again, I have only allowed myself to start DNFing this past year.
    Its comfortable to read authors we like. I am trying to rotate with new authors to keep me open.
    Have a great week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too bad you DNF'ed Belle Revolte, I got it as an ARC, and I'm meaning to read it. But yeah you had a good reading week otherwise! I love a lot of the authors there, like Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, and Anne Bishop! Hope you have a good reading week! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!