Friday, September 4, 2020

Friday Memes: Nightshade by M. L. Huie

 Happy Friday everybody!

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Prologue

1943

Livy Nash sat on a hill above a runway somewhere outside of Manchester and wished she was going to Paris.

Friday 56: 
"He took it, and we got drunk and had sex. Is that better?"

The words hung in the air between them. She wanted to go on and say, I'm drinking again. I feel awful and wrong inside. I don't know if I can stop or if I've gone too far. I'll be damned if I leave my friend in a prison one more day than necessary, but I'm terrified I'll lose myself and never find my way home.
This week I am spotlighting Nightshade by M. L. Huie. This historical mystery is from my review stack. Here is the description from Amazon:
How far would you go to rescue a friend?

British spy Livy Nash has never had many friends. But fellow agent Margot Dupont was the exception to the rule. At least, until she disappeared during one of their missions in World War Two, never to be heard from again. Since then, Livy's made do. Some people, you just can't replace.

But when the British pick up Margot's call sign--NIGHTSHADE--years after the war, Livy can't help the glimmer of hope that she might see her old friend again. But Livy has her doubts: what their enemies are using it to lure out Livy and her team? What if it's all a trick?

Despite her unease, Livy dives headlong into finding Margot, aided by her boss, the charming Ian Fleming. When evidence arises that a handsome Russian spy might have information about Margot, Livy agrees to her most dangerous mission yet: going undercover as a double agent to spy on the infamous "Red Devil".

As Livy is pulled deeper into the shadows of treachery, the possibility of finding Margot alive diminishes as the danger grows. How much will she have to sacrifice to find a friend she thought she'd lost forever?

6 comments:

  1. That Friday56 is heartbreaking! This sounds like a good one, Kathy. I hope you are enjoying it. I love that cover. Have a great weekend! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds so good! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a heartwrencher! Happy Labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds terrific and that teaser makes me want to read it immediately -- it sounds like such a tense scene! I want to know what all is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a gorgeous cover! That 56 snippet definitely captures my attention. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!