Monday, July 25, 2022

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 25, 2022)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet summer week. It is hard to believe that it is almost the end of July already. 

I'm starting to see back-to-school sales and posts from my teacher friends who are getting ready for a new year. My former district is also going through a bunch of changes this year. They'll have a new Superintendent of Schools, a new Elementary Principal, and a new High School Principal along with some new teachers. The district is also trying to pass a referendum to do some upgrades to the two schools. So many changes make me even more glad to be retired.

I have spent the week reading and writing reviews. The break for the MLB All-Star game was good for adding more reading time to my schedule. I'm still not as far ahead as I would like to be, but my August calendar isn't looking quite so bare. I have a number of much anticipated books on my Review stack with August release dates. I plan to fill in around them with books from my TBR mountain and some of my new, short audiobooks. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

Review Books:
  • Round Up the Usual Peacocks by Donna Andrews (Review; August 2) -- 31st in the Meg Langslow humorous mystery series. I've only read a couple. They stand alone well and are very entertaining with a large touch of humor. My review will be posted on July 28.
  • Quarter to Midnight by Karen Rose (Review; August 2) -- I kept reading and reading and didn't seem to be making any progress. Then I looked and saw that the book was 608 pages long! It was an entertaining romantic suspense title with the emphasis on the suspense. My review will be posted on July 27.
  • The Dark Circle by Robert J. Mrazek (Review; August 9) -- After losing his job as campus security, he takes a job trying to locate a missing college student and finds himself deep in danger from a cult that preys on young virgins. My review will be posted on August 2.
  • In Too Steep by Kate Kingsbury (Review; August 9) -- A nice cozy set in the Pacific Northwest. Vivian Wainright, who owns a tea shop, gets involved in investigating a murder when she sees a souvenir she sold on his shelf. My review will be posted on August 3.
Books from my own stack.
  • I Dare by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread)
  • Royal Valentine by Jenn McKinlay (Audible Daily Deal & Kindle) -- This cute novella was an entertaining contemporary romance. My review will be posted on August 2)
  • Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris (Audible Sale) -- This is the first book in the Lily Bard mystery series. I read it originally more than 20 years ago. It was still an entertaining story. My review will be posted on August 6.
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out by M. C. Beaton (Audible Plus) -- The engaging Regency Romance stars poor relations and tells how they band together to start a hotel. My review will be posted on August 9.
Currently
  • A New Clan by David Weber and Jane Lindskold (Mine; Kindle) -- This is the fourth book and latest in the YA prequel series to the Honor Harrington series. It is a fun adventure so far.
  • Death at the Manor by Katharine Schellman (Review; August 9)
Next Week

The rest of my August Review books.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Audiobooks:

Audible had another sale!
Kindle Books:
  • Stargazer by Anne Hillerman (BookBub deal for $2.99)
  • Amber Beach by Elizabeth Lowell (BookBub deal for $1.99)
What was your week like?

10 comments:

  1. It looks as though you have much more time to read than I do, but I hope to be able to find companies that will allow me to review books soon so that I can make more time to read. It is crazy how fast summer has gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how quickly July went by. Our youngest is heading to college next month, so that probably doesn't help how I feel about summer passing so quickly.
    Our school district is going through similar changes. I am glad my girls are done.
    What a great group of books this week. Round Up the Usual Peacocks still caught my eye. Also interested in Death at the Manor and The Unkept Woman. Hope you enjoy all your books.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Quarter to Midnight to review but I didn't realize it was that long. I usually don't read such long books. All of your books look so good. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm often surprised when I'm reading an ebook and the percentage read doesn't advance quickly. You expect that when you are reading a physical book and it has a lot of pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to believe back to school right around the corner. I guess I say that every year though- summer flies.

    It's funny the Hillerman book caught my eye, and when I looked closer I see it's related to the new show Dark wind on amazon, which I just watched- and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many good books! I am eagerly looking forward to the new Karen Rose, her books are always "big", this one sounds longer than others. I am anticipating Storm Echo of course, have organised a signed pre-order for that one as Nalini lives in NZ. As a retired teacher I love that well I am retired!! I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh nice! Some new to me reads here! I've fallen so behind on Kelley's books! I need to get caught up on hers soon! Hope you enjoy your reads for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a productive week. I am so thankful that I no longer have to worry about heading back to school in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Retirement sounds really great, I can't wait! And yeah for the August calendar filling out! I see some really great books, Ruby Fever and Soul Taken! So excited for their release day! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The back to school ads and sales have popped up here as well. It feels like this summer is just flying by, but part of me will be glad to have my kids back in school. Let's just say they are having a very lazy summer! Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!