Monday, February 6, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (February 6, 2023)

 It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet winter week. We had bone-chilling cold in the middle of the week. The lowest windchill number I saw was -45F but that happened in the middle of the night. Temperatures are much better now. They are even predicting a high near 37F for Wednesday. However, there is a chance for light snow today and Monday. It isn't snowing at my house as I write this Sunday late morning though. 

I had a great reading week. I also finished setting up my posts for March. I wrote my monthly State of the Stack post for February 1 and saw that I had a really big number of March releases on my stack. While mostly concentrating on review books until the March ones are read and reviewed, I will be taking a break when Encore in Death by J. D. Robb arrives on my Kindle Tuesday. 

I made Chicken Parmesan one night this past week and my brother made a beef stir-fry another night giving us a sort of international menu this past week. Today he's cooking a pork roast that was put in the freezer in 2020. Things do sometimes get lost in our two freezers since we mostly pull out the same things (hamburger, pork chops, chicken, and salmon) when we are planning our meals. He found a new recipe on the internet for the pork which he wants to try. I'm okay with that as long as he does the cooking.

My audiobook for the week is a Classic Science Fiction title that has been on my stack November 6, 1997, and which I haven't read before. I recently added the Kindle and Audiobook since the print is pretty small in my paperback copy. At more than 19 hours, it will take me a while to complete.

January Reading

I read 42 books in January with 13950 pages. My total included 26 of my books of which nine were from the TBR Pile (added to my collection before 2022) and six were rereads. Also among the number of my books were 14 audiobooks (164 and a quarter hours). And I read 16 review books. 

According to LibraryThing, I added 51 books to my stack in January which is a bit misleading because nine of them were books I found on my physical TBR shelves that weren't on LibraryThing. Most of them were actually added to the stack when I added all my books to LibraryThing in 2008 according to their publication dates. 

Of the eight audiobooks I added, four were audiobook copies of books I already own and have read or am reading like Downbelow Station. While I haven't actually listened to the audiobook, I don't put these additional formats in the To Read collection. 

I added six new review titles too in January. They all have May, June or July release dates. 

Not including the review books, I have 36 January additions that are still on the TBR pile. My total TBR pile is 2420 books tall though 2012 are actually Kindle copies and 151 are audiobooks. I don't know how many of these are unique titles because I often buy both the Kindle and audiobook versions of a title. And, not infrequently, I buy a Kindle copy to supplement a print copy since I prefer Kindle copies to print books these days. 

I did some additional clean-up of my LibraryThing account in January too. I deleted all the books in the Read but Unowned collection from before 2020. Most were review books but there were others that I had borrowed or read and decided not to keep. My entire LibraryThing account now stands at 6867 books. That collection was useful mainly because it kept me from buying books I'd already read but didn't have a copy of. I think that if I read it before 2020 and didn't recall doing so, it would likely be okay to buy a new copy if it caught my eye again.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Dark in Death by J. D. Robb (Mine; Reread) -- This was an excellent episode in the Eve Dallas/In Death series. 
  • Blood Red by Mercedes Lackey (Audiobook; mine since September 28, 2021) -- This episode in the Elemental Masters fantasy series starts out as a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and expands upon that story. My review will be posted on February 21.
  • Cold-Blooded Liar by Karen Rose (Review; February 28) -- Excellent start to a new romantic suspense series. My review will be posted on February 23)
  • The Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff (Audiobook; Mine since August 29, 2021) -- Excellent fantasy/coming of age story. My review will be posted on February 23.
  • Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop (Mine; Audiobook Reread)
  • Standing Dead by Margaret Mizushima (Review; March 7) -- 8th in the Timber Creek K-9 Mysteries. Nice addition to the series. My review will be posted on February 28.
  • The Bullet Catch by John Gaspard (Audiobook; Mine since August 3, 2021) - Nice mystery set in Minneapolis with a magician as the amateur detective. My review will be posted on February 28.
  • Royal Blood by Aimee Carter (Review; March 7) -- This excellent YA alternate history title is the story of the King of England's 17-year-old illegitimate daughter who has to solve a mystery when she's dumped into the Royal Family. My review will be posted March 1.
  • What Have We Done by Alex Finlay (Review; March 7) -- Excellent new thriller. My review will be posted on March 2.
  • Smoke and Mirrors by Barbara Michaels (Mine) -- Somewhat dated romantic suspense from an author I used to have on auto-buy. My review will be posted on February 25.
Currently
  • Downbelow Station by MarcC. J. Cherryh -- I own the paperback and have since before 2008; I also have the Kindle and Audible versions. I have just begun to listen to this Science Fiction Classic. 
  • A Sinister Revenge by Deanna Raybourn (Review; March 7)
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. It was so cold here, I worked out of the office on Saturday instead of showing houses.

    Looks like your reading year is off to a great start. A Sinister Revenge and Relative Fortunes caught my eye this week. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe all the cold weather so many people are having.

    Your list of books look good. Cold-Blooded Liar really looks like a book I'd like. I'll have to check it out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bone chilling weather makes me shiver at the thought! Our weather is colder than usual these days, and lots of rain, but nothing like yours.

    Your menus sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your review for Murder at an Irish Castle, love that kind of set up. Oh your cold weather sounds devine. I think i need to be one of those people that move about to catch winters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of interesting books on this list. A Sinister Revenge looks particularly good; I love the cover and title.


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was cold. We didn't get near that. But now we're in the +. Crazy winter. You had a great January and lots of good books for February. Will need to check them out. Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's some serious windchill! I don't think I've ever seen out numbers get that low! The very low negatives at the lowest! But we're actually warming up a bit this week too...oddly enough! Lol.

    Nice lineup! I am so excited for Aimee Carter's new YA book! It's been ages since I've read her stuff, really since her last YA series as I never really could get into MG that well.

    Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are entering a bit of a warm spell here where I live. It's supposed to get to +6°C this week. I wish I wasn't fighting some kind of respiratory tract infection or I would go out for a walk. Thanks for the link to your Goodreads reviews. I like that I can read what you think and decide if I might like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I can't complain to you about our below-zero temps in Massachusetts! We don't have any overlap in our books this week.
    You made me curious about my LibraryThing numbers, but "My Library" is only at 236. I never entered all the books I already owned, so that is just what I've acquired since I joined LT. Which was over ten years ago, so that's not bad! ;)
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting today! I'm feeling somewhat better and went to work today (with a mask), but need to go to bed early. I don't think I'm still contagious, but I'm worn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting through so many books in January! We had it cold, but not quite that cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have such a great mixture of books! And that temperature is insane. I would cry. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beef stir fry sounds good. I like the looks of the Finlay book too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a pretty great wrap up for January with reading and Librarything stats! And Encore in Death is a high priority for me this week, so excited for the latest installment! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whew! Bone-chilling? Yes, I'd call a wind chill of -45F bone-chilling! Hope it does warm up beautifully today and you can continue to set records with your amazing reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did you manage to read 42 books in one month? I only read about four books in January...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!