Friday, November 5, 2010

Book Beginnings: Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Here is what she says about this meme: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression...

There's nothing quite like the anticipation that comes from cracking open a book for the first time. The first line beckons you, and if done well it can pull you headlong into the story. Done poorly, the first line can lead a reader to set a book aside and move on to something better, especially if they're browsing at the bookstore.

The best first lines are memorized and celebrated, and the worst ones are lampooned and parodied. So with the knowledge of just how important first lines are, is it any wonder that one of my favorite bookish memes focuses on the first line?

How to participate: All you have to do is share the first line (or two, I'm not too picky) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading (and can go pick up a copy if it sounds good!). Then, if you feel so moved, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence (thanks to Rose City Reader for inspiring this meme). The link-up will be here at A Few More Pages every Friday."

My beginning sentences are from Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee:
I almost missed the left onto Route 5, which would've been embarrassing as hell. Luckily, I recognized the intersection before I was through it, snapping dry-mouthed out of a quarter-doze.

This first line tells me a lot. The main character is heading somewhere that should be familiar but it has been a long time since he/she has gone back. There is also a sense of urgency there. Otherwise, why drive until you are dozing?

In fact, Kate is going back to a small ocean front town in Maine to try to find out what has happened to her grandmother. She isn't answering her phone. This is beyond unexpected and all the way into unheard of. Her grandmother never leaves the town. The story quickly drifts into fantasy with a variety of fae and bunches of magic.

I am not quite finished with the book but I am very happy with the part I have read so far. I like the characters and find the magic fascinating.

Link up your book beginning at Katy's blog and see what other first lines people have chosen to share.


2 comments:

  1. I like the way you analyzed this beginning. Very intriguing indeed.

    Thanks for participating today! Sorry I blew it and my post didn't publish this morning like it was supposed to! I'm adding your link to my link-up right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, very good analysis of the beginning. Now I'm curious and wanting to read this!

    Here's my beginning (just posted today!):

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/friday-book-beginnings-on-saturday/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!