Thursday, November 25, 2010

BTT: Authors and Books I'm Thankful For


Header by Ginger at G Reads
This week's question:
It’s Thanksgiving here in the U.S. of A. so …
What authors and books are you most thankful for?



My Answer:
The authors I am most thankful for are Lois McMaster Bujold and Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Both write long running science fiction series.


Photo by me taken November 2010.
Lois writes the Vorkosigan saga. They are the continuing adventures of Miles Vorkosigan who is a hyperactive, privileged aristocrat who was born with very brittle bones in a society that hates anything different. He is the kind of character who grabs hold of your heart and just won't let go. He is also the kind of character you would be most likely to murder in his sleep if you happened to meet him in "real life." Whenever I re-read those books, I am again caught up in the world and the adventures. They are perfect books to take me out of myself and out of my life. Lois's books are listed here.


Photo from Fantastic Fiction (undated)
Sharon and Steve's books work the same way for me. I am most entertained by their Liaden Universe books. In this series, humans have evolved into humans, Liadens, and Xtraing and are joined by some other people who never were human like the Turtles. The series focuses on the Liadens who have a fascinating culture built around the concept of melanti (similar to the Japanese Face). The characters are well-developed human beings that I would love to know - but preferably in much less dangerous situations than they face in the books. The culture of the world and the values of Korval fascinate me. I have read these books so frequently that I have multiple copies of each book in case one gets too worn to be readable. A listing of their books is here.


These certainly aren't the only authors I love. But these are the authors that I have turned to year after year and stressful situation after stressful situation to make me feel better and more hopeful.


Which books and authors are you thankful for? Let us know by posting on your blog and linking here.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the compliment! Feel free to use any of my headers for posts on my blog. I just like spicing things up once in awhile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like authors I should check out. I wasn't able to narrow it down quite so much!

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful holiday, Kathy! And thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!