Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (Nov. 29, 2010)

It's Monday, What are you reading is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey 
 
It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I had a good reading week. I was disappointed not to get to Duluth for Thanksgiving but the travel conditions between here and there prevented my trip on Wednesday. I enjoyed a quiet four-day weekend here at home.

Besides reading and playing computer games, I also started a Google Docs spreadsheet to list all the VHS and DVD movies and TV series that I own. I collect movies and TV shows but am not very good at actually watching them. I want to make sure that I don't start buying duplicates.

I also took the time to play around with the design of this blog. I chose a new background and created a new header. What do you think? I couldn't really find anything that was "doggish" so I went with letters and school stuff for that part of my life.

I also wrote a lot of reviews and scheduled a bunch of posts for the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get a little bit ahead during this busy holiday season.

Here is what I read:

I got the eARC of My Soul to Steal from NetGalley and Harlequin Teen. I have read and enjoyed the rest of the series and wanted to keep up. This book will be published on Dec. 28, 2010 and my review is scheduled for Dec. 16.

I also read Choker by Elizabeth Woods. This was the first book I read from Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab program. I enjoyed this psychological thriller and the author almost succeeding in tricking me. I did manage to figure out what was going on with about a third of the book left. The book will be published on Jan. 4, 2011. My review is scheduled for Dec. 2. 
I also had a chance to read Masques by Patricia Briggs. I have liked everything I have read by her and this was no exception. Masques is a high fantasy story with interesting and well-written characters. It is hard for me to believe that this was her first book. My review will  be posted on Dec. 2.

Wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs is the sequel to Masques and was equally entertaining. I loved the interaction and the love story between Aralorn and Wolf. The mystery was also well done. I hope that there are more stories with these characters on Ms. Briggs' horizon. My review for this one will be posted on Dec. 9.
I read Ten Ways to Be Adored when Landing a Lord by Sarah MacLean. This historical romance didn't break any new ground in the genre but was a very pleasant and entertaining story about two very well-realized characters. I loved the romance and the flashes of humor in the story. This review will be posted on Dec. 4.

The next book I plan to read is Virals by Kathy Reichs. I love her forensic mysteries for adults and am eager to see how she does when she writes for young adults. This book also fits as part of the 2010 Debut Young Adult Author Challenge.

I'm not at all sure what I will be reading next week. But these are good possibilities--
Trickster's Girl by Hilari Bell is an eARC on my Kindle from NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin. I have never read anything by the author but the cover and blurb intrigued me. The book will be published on Jan. 3 and I would like to get it read and reviewed before that.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand is also an eARC from NetGalley and HarperTeen that will be released on January 4, 2011. It is by a 2011 Debut Author and is a young adult paranormal about angels.
I have also been eager to read these print books that are near the top of my TBR stack. I just got Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John. It is also young adult and is about a deaf girl who needs to manage a rock band to earn money for college.

Pegasus by Robin McKinley has been on the stack for a little while calling out to me. I am a fan of Ms. McKinley's work and am eager to read her newest.

Since all of the books I'm planning to read are young adults, I may find it necessary to grab something from my adult TBR stack to put a little balance in my reading diet. There are so many good choices there that I may just have to close my eyes and grab. 

What are your plans for the week?

12 comments:

  1. Unearthly is on my list and I want to read Pegasus.

    Can you believe I've never read Robin McKinley OR Patricia Briggs? I'm feeling definitely like I have some gaps in my reading to make up on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look! I have not read any of these so I will be reading your reviews and probably expanding my TBR list. Have a wonderful week.
    My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/11/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The travel conditions were awful on Thanksgiving eve (my wording). I am glad you didn't risk the drive.

    Sounds like a good reading weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Virals and am jealous you have Pegasus. I am a big fan of McKinley's writing too. I need to play catch up with all my reviews, wish I could get ahead like you.

    I love the new background and header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've decided 2011 will be the year I start reading Kathy Reichs. She's one of those authors whose books I keep seeing, but I've never picked one up. I'm mostly reading Christmas books at this time of year.

    I like the new layout - happy colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some nice choices. Patricia Briggs is definitely on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Kathy Reichs tv series, Bones, and have the first few books of the series sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I can't wait to review your review for Virals.

    Enjoy your week! My week can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trickster's Girl looks intriguing, as do several others.

    I like the new look of your blog...this was the first time I'd noticed the quote in your header that explains your blog title! Cool....

    Here's my Monday:

    http://laurelrainsnow.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/monday-memes-mailbox-monday-what-are-you-reading-nov-29/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by! I am incredibly jealous that you got to read My Soul to Steal! I have Virals, Masques and Wolfsbane on my TBR pile here as well! I really want to read Pegasus too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember spying Pegasus on another blog a while back, mainly because of that cover. I hope you enjoy whichever book you decide to go with this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cover for Unearthly, I've seen it on a few blogs this week and it looks fantastic :) Have a great week!

    Mine is at:
    http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=1967

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pegasus is on my wishlist. Not much on my plate this week as I'm writing papers. Here's what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!