Saturday, November 13, 2010

In My Mailbox (Nov. 14, 2010)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
 
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

I received two print books this week.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Don Bruns -- I accepted this book for review because it sounded like it would be a humorous mystery. I like mysteries and humor. I look forward to starting this book. This one is set to be published on December 6, 2010.

Trio of Sorcery by Mercedes Lackey -- This is a collection of 3 novellas. Lackey revisits some characters that she wrote about previously. There is a Diana Tregarde story, a Jennifer Talldeer story, and the third introduces a new character - Ellen McBridge. I was always sorry that Lackey felt she couldn't continue the Diana Tregarde stories and look forward to seeing some old friends again.
All of these additions to my Kindle were the results of reading blogs in my Google Reader. Other bloggers are completely to blame for adding to my TBR stack. ;-)

Little Red and the Wolf by Alison Paige -- Maizie Hood Struggles to keep her bakery turning a profit, her landlord from evicting her, and her dear Granny in a nursing facility. Now her childhood big-bad-wolf-nightmares are turning into real life adult fantasies. Is sexy businessman Gray Lupo the answer to her problems, or just a wolf in gentleman's Armani? Who said being eaten by the big bad wolf was a bad thing? This one sounds like a sexy shifter story.



Mercy by Eleri Stone -- To the Yaguara, an ancient jaguar shape-shifting people living deep in the Amazon jungle, nothing matters more than strength. Iada is their champion; genetically pure, she has been trained since birth to fight. Her destiny is to become the next Queen of the Yaguara by winning the tournament of succession—a battle to the death.



Her opponent is Gabriel, a half-blooded outcast whose mother was human. To everyone's shock, he defeats Iada but does not strike the death blow—instead, he extends mercy, thereby claiming her as his mate.


Despite their enmity, the attraction between them is powerful, and soon they are mates in more than name only. Their mutual distrust serves only to fuel their passion—two champions bested only by their overpowering desire for each other.


But Gabriel has an agenda that threatens the most basic tenets of Yaguara society—and that will force Iada to choose between her people or her King. I got this one because I really like romance about shape shifters.


Once in a Blue Moon by Eileen Goudge -- Lindsay and Kerrie Ann are sisters who have known hardship from an early age. Without guidance from their neglectful mother, their only aid came from an unlikely source, a retired exotic dancer by the name of Miss Honi Love. When the girls’ mother was sent to prison, Miss Honi tried unsuccessfully to save them from being separated and sent into foster care. Thirty years later, Lindsay is still trying to reconnect with her sister. The owner of a bookstore in the sleepy California seaside town of Blue Moon Bay, she was lucky enough to have been adopted by a loving couple. Unbeknownst to her, Kerrie Ann has suffered a very different life. Bounced from one foster home to the next, she ran away as a teenager before becoming a drug-addicted single mother. Now, newly sober, Kerrie Ann is fighting to regain custody of the little girl who was taken from her. I admit that I was seduced by the lovely cover of this one as it is otherwise not the sort of book I usually read. 


These are the books that ended up on my TBR stack this week. What ended up on yours?


9 comments:

  1. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff sounds like fun :-) I like mysteries and humour too so will watch out for your review! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read any of these, but they all sound good! And Mercedes Lackey is always great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Little Red and the Wolf- can't decide if it's a fun retelling, but it seems interesting. Great books this week! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finished Mercy last week. Really quick read and I enjoyed it. I hope you like it :-)


    Stephanie G
    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mercy... I really enjoyed it but the same complaint seems to be the same: There needs to be a little more length but for me it didnt cause any trouble. I just want more because I love what I read so much!!=)


    Enjoy your reads!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I have the same problem. When I read a bunch of blogs my TBR pile grows. I ignore it unless it's a glowing review. But if it's a glowing review I HAVE to have it!
    It looks like you got some great books though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little Red and the Wolf sounds good! Must go hunt that down myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new follower! I hope you love Little Red & the Wolf. I'm dying to read it!! You can see me and my mailbox here http://blog.juliealindsey.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I love the cover for Little Red and the Wolf. I'm really excited to see what you think of it!

    25hourbooks.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!