Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Teaser Tuesday: Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

 
This week my teaser comes from Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee.
 
"Carousel Tides pulls you into the chill foggy reality of peeling-paint sand-grit coastal Maine outside of tourist season and then hands you something else -- the hidden world lurking in shadows or under the land's surface or just offshore, where Black Dogs hunt the night and selkies toss unpleasant truths over their shoulders before diving into the next wave. In the center of this, Kate Archer tends and guards one of the spookiest carousels this side of Ray Bradbury and wonders what has happened to her grandmother. The old woman sent her a letter, left papers deeding over the carousel and old house and the Land (meaning much more than property), and vanished, telling the spirits of the land and sea that she expected to be back before the turning of the year.
 
Now March has come and gone and Kate must return from self-exile to take up powers and responsibilities she has renounced, or dying will be the least of her problems . . .

Sharon Lee weaves fantasy into reality so deftly that you scarcely notice when you slip across the edge. And once you're there, the story's own magic won't let you turn back from the strong characters, deep mysteries, and even deeper danger.”


The teaser:
I held the bottle with both hands, so as not to spill wine on the counter. Also, somebody had a jackhammer going inside my right temple, and my peripheral vision was filled with a haze of spangled pastels.

Other than that, though, I was cool.

7 comments:

  1. Very descriptive. That's it, huh? LOL

    My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha nice teaser. This sounds like an intersting book, how do you like it so far? My teaser is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can empathize. Great teaser!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice teaser. Sounds like an interesting book!
    My blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment.

    I love the cover - I haven't heard of this book but it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's going on there?I never heard of this novel before, but it doesn't sound that bad, will check it out! Thanks for your teaser:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by my teaser.
    I like the cover of this book, it's rather intriguing and the passage is very descriptive. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of it before :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!