Monday, September 18, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 18, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

Our new garage is built. This week the electrician should be coming to get power to the building and change out our exterior lights. Next up is getting a garage door opener installed and maybe rain gutters. Since winter is coming, it will be nice to be able to get all three cars in garages.

Work seems to be progressing at the house in Duluth we are selling. I haven't heard yet but the basement repair people were supposed to be finished by Friday. Next up there is cleaning up the ugly but not dangerous mold and doing some sort of preventative treatment. Then things move to the buyer's hands to get the closing rescheduled.

My townhouse is still on the market with maybe a showing a week. I would really like that one sold soon. The excitement there this week was a large, very large, spider spotted by the potential buyers during a showing. My realtor put on her Great White Hunter hat and took care of it (but not before sending me a photo of the monster.)

Meanwhile, Duluth has been cool, rainy and foggy again for most of the past week. Great reading weather but not so great for any outdoor activities.

Read Last Week
El Deafo by Cece Bell - ARC from deep on TBR mountain
Satellite by Nick Lake - engaging YA science fiction
The Wicked Billionaire by Jackie Ashenden - Okay romance. I thought the main characters were more in need of therapy than a romance
Osiris by Eric C. Anderson - complex military and political thriller that reminded me of Tom Clancy but without as much character development
The Great Shelby Holmes - from TBR mountain, engaging middle grade mystery

The Breathless by Tara Goedjen - DNF; I read until 58% before deciding that I didn't know what was going on and didn't care enough about any of the characters to continue.

Currently
A Cajun Christmas Killing by Ellen Byron (Oct. 10) - Review stack; Louisiana, plantation bed and breakfasts, murder and interesting characters

Next Week
The Painted Queen by Elizabeth Peters and Joan Hess - the last Amelia Peabody mystery from TBR mountain
Berserker by Emmy Laybourne (Oct. 10) - review book
Death Overdue by Allison Brook (Oct. 10) - review book

Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
Wildfire by Ilona Andrews
The Last Move by Mary Burton
Sleep Like a Baby by Charlaine Harris

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
A Poison Dark and Drowning by Jessica Cluess

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

On my Kindle:
In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan

Print books:
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
Nemesis by Anna Banks

Review book:
House of Shadows by Nicola Cornick (Oct. 17)

What was your week like?



14 comments:

  1. Glad your garage is complete! Hope the rest of the work will soon be completed as well, and that the townhouse sells. I'm interested in the Cajun mystery title on your list. Happy Reading! And here is my list for this week: http://bit.ly/2xb6vpP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you remain so calm about all the balls you have in the air...it's good you retired before all this drama. I hope everything goes well...and have fun getting settled.

    Those books look tempting. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of great books -- hope you like The Painted Queen. Good luck on the sale of the houses, and you can keep the big spiders in your state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! House of Shadows looks very interesting. Have a great week :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your house sales and your new garage. It is nice to have the cars in the garage. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. House of Shadows sounds like it may be one that I want to read too. I've always wanted to read the Aurora Teagarden series and I need to look into those. I really enjoy following your blog because I get a wealth of ideas to look into for my job as a librarian too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy, busy lady with the house things. Hopefully all will settle down soon.

    It was cold here in Pittsburgh the last two weeks and now this week has been summer-like weather again. I love it.

    ENJOY your week and your books.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer to hear The Breatless was a DNF! Looked so intriguing with that creepy cover! But I suspect I will just stay away from it now! Hope you enjoy your reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a garage in the winter is great. Sadly we don't have one right now, but I would love to have one at our next house. Hope things go well with the sale of the house and your townhouse. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cozies look so good. I have them on my list too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little by little things are coming together! A garage is a must in winter wonderland! Sending good vibes on the sale of your home. I am behind on the Hidden Legacy series. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of fog here too in the mornings with the cool temps at night. Definitely feeling like fall in the mornings and evenings now. I need to get Satellite, I have that on my shelf waiting, and I liked The Collapsing Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking set of books. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, I have had books like The Breathless too. I fully support a DNF!

    You should have said the spider was an early Halloween decoration. :)

    Hopefully you get one sold soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!