Monday, September 4, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 4, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

This has been an awful week. We got a phone call late Saturday night from the people who were buying our house that there was water in the basement. Three inches of rain the previous week and a very wet August had been more than the interior drains could handle. Naturally, the closing which was scheduled for Monday was postponed.

We met with the people who had done the basement repairs in July to find out that they would guarantee their work and fix the problem with their wall but that we needed to replace the inside drain system on the other three walls too. We agreed, signed the papers, and the buyers were okay with it. Initially the date of the work was late October.

However, the buyers had an expiration date of Friday on their current mortgage rate and needed to close. They put an amendment in writing that we would finish the repairs after the closing and we signed all the closing papers on Friday morning. Friday afternoon we got a call from the closer saying that the buyer's bank wouldn't give them the mortgage or let them close until the repairs were done.This was the first time it has ever happened to the closer who has been doing this for 21 years. It is also the first time my realtor has heard of this happening and he has been doing this for 35 years.

Meanwhile, we had had a contractor come in and rip out all the wet paneling and the ruined floor tiles. Ripping out the paneling exposed a mold issue that we were all unaware of. Now that needs to be addressed too. We also called the people who will be working on the basement repairs to see if they could move the date up. We have a new tentative day of late September but it might have to slide until the middle of October. They are just so busy and have so many jobs scheduled.

As I am writing this Saturday morning, the buyers don't know what they are going to do. They don't have the money to do what they need to do to get a new loan and may have to walk away from the sale. Currently, they are living in the house but if they walk away from the sale they will have to leave. They are in a new town and don't have anywhere to live. This whole fiasco isn't such a big deal for my brother and I. We are not in immediate need of the money from selling the house. We can wait until the repair is complete to put it back on the market if we have to do that. The house is more of an inconvenience since we have to pay the insurance, utilities and keep the lawn mowed than it is a financial drain.

Needless to say my reading has been spotty this week and, when I do have time, I am having trouble concentrating. Hopefully some questions will be answered this week and I can read.

Read Last Week
 Stolen Secrets by L. B. Schulman (review on Ms. Martin Teaches Media Sept. 18)
Find Me by Tiffany Snow (review on Inside of a Dog Sept. 20)
The Hunt by Chloe Neill (review on Inside of a Dog Sept. 23)
Midnight Jewel by Richelle Mead (review on Ms. Martin Teaches Media Sept. 20)

Currently
Buried Heart by Kate Elliott. I am enjoying this one when I can concentrate and read rather than be distracted by house issues.

Next Week

All from my review stack:
 Enigma by Catherine Coulter (Sept. 12)
Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh (Sept. 26)
Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush (Oct. 3)
Satellite by Nick Lake (Oct. 3)

Reviews Posted

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media
Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton

On Inside of a Dog
The Bronze Skies by Catherine Asaro
On the Chase by Katie Ruggle
Her Dark Half by Paige Tyler

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

For my TBR mountain:
Dying Breath by Heather Graham
The Turn by Kim Harrison

For Review:
Enigma by Catherine Coulter (Sept. 12)
Fragments of the Lost by Megan Miranda (Nov. 14)
Bury the Past by James L'Etoile (Dec. 12)
A Case of Syrah, Syrah by Nancy J. Parra (Dec. 12
A Murder for the Books by Victoria Gilbert (Dec. 12)
Hot and Badgered by Shelly Laurenston (March 27, 2018)

What was your week like?



18 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I am hoping to read The Hunt this week, but with all that's going on, it's not really likely to happen I'm afraid. Hope you enjoy the reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our whole basement is currently under renovations because of water infiltration, so I get your frustration! Nice books in your post. I like the cover of Midnight Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of Midnight Jewel and Stolen Secrets.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, what a nightmare!I am so sorry. Hopefully it all works out for everyone. :(

    I loved The Turn! And Devils and Thieves looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so sorry about the complications in the house...but you seem to be calmly approaching it all.

    Enjoy those books. I see a new Megan Miranda book, which I have now added to my list. I also love Melinda Leigh's books, although I'm a bit behind.

    Have a great week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, what a week. Sometimes life likes to throw you a curve ball, it sucks but sounds like it isn't bothering you too much. Hope things work out for you and the potential buyers.
    I still need to read The Turn, then then reread rest of The Hollows series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the house troubles - I hope all is resolved soon.

    Wishing you a better week, with some more reading included!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The horrors of trying to sell a house! At least you aren't in a rush although I feel bad for the poor buyers!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound awful, I hope something gets worked out so the buyers are not homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm sorry about what is happening with the house. I hope all is resolved soon so you can have free, relaxing time to read, Kathy. #hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about what's happening with the sale of your house. We're having a few ups and downs with ours as well but nothing like what you've described. I hope it all resolves soon favorably for you and your buyer.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a pain! Sorry that happened! Selling/ buying a house can be so stressful when something unexpected like that happens. I hope it all gets resolved soon, and that the buyers don't have to walk away.

    Stolen secret looks good, and I have an ARC of Satellite I need to get to. Also, I like the look of Fragments of the Lost. Not familiar w/ that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a mess; hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awful and what bad timing for everyone! We had never had problems with water in the basement for over fifteen years, until one very very wet spring where there was just nowhere else for the water in the ground to go, I guess. Haven't had a problem since then, either, but now we have the pump down there for just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww....sorry you are having problems with your house. I hope things go well for you!

    Here’s my It’s Monday! What are you Reading!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about the bad news and troubles with the house. Hope things go better this week! Thanks for visiting my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is too bad about the sale! I hope it works out. You have some good books it seems though! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that sucks about your house! But some really great books, like Midnight Jewel and Buried Heart! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!