Saturday, June 6, 2015

Book Review: The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

The Unleashing
Author: Shelly Laurenston
Series: Call Of Crows (Book 1)
Publication: Kensington (March 31, 2015)

Description: Kera Watson never expected to face death behind a Los Angeles coffee shop. Not after surviving two tours lugging an M16 around the Middle East. If it wasn't for her hot Viking customer showing up too late to help, nobody would even see her die.

In uncountable years of service to the Allfather Odin, Ludvig "Vig" Rundstrom has never seen anyone kick ass with quite as much style as Kera. He knows one way to save her life--but she might not like it. Signing up with the Crows will get Kera a new set of battle buddies: cackling, gossiping, squabbling, party-hearty women. With wings. So not the Marines.

But Vig can't give up on someone as special as Kera. With a storm of oh-crap magic speeding straight for L.A., survival will depend on combining their strengths: Kera's discipline, Vig's loyalty... and the Crows' sheer love of battle. Boy, are they in trouble.

My Thoughts: Kera is a former Marine now working in a coffee shop when she is killed by a pimp when she tries to protect his girl. Luckily, Vig Rundstrom, who has been admiring her from afar, is there and makes a deal with Skuld to have Kera turned into one of her Crows. Kera accepts the deal but only if she can bring her dog - Brodie Hawaii - along.

Kera is dumped headfirst into the Crows who are an interesting assortment of women. They are from a variety of ethnicities and have equally varied pasts. The Crows are different than the other Nordic clans. They weren't born into the life; they don't know the mythology. What they have in common is rage and their loyalty to each other. Kera has some trouble fitting into the life because the Crows around her are so disorganized. They are also, in Laurenston's tradition, unique and quirky people.

Kera depends on Vig to help her find her way despite the fact that he is a Raven and Ravens and Crows are sometimes at odds. And Kera needs to find her way in a hurry because an ancient god is trying to come back to Los Angeles which won't be a good thing for Los Angeles or for the Crows.

I liked the nod to Norse mythology. I liked the relationship between Vig and Kera. I enjoyed the byplay and one liners flying among the Crows. I really liked Kera's dog. This was a fun story to read.

Favorite Quote:
"That was disgusting," Rolf complained as they continued to the house. "I hate watching cute chicks vomit. It totally kills their cute."

"So you never plan to be with anyone who might have normal, human bodily functions?" Stieg asked.

"That's my plan. Or at least I'll find one considerate enough to hide all her womanly functions from me. That's what good girlfriends do."
I bought this one for my Kindle. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. what a funny quote!! I do need to read this book...I am currently working on her shifter series...but as soon as I get through that one...this is next on my priority list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!