Thursday, June 2, 2016

Book Review: Fan the Flames

Fan the Flames
Author: Katie Ruggle
Series: Search and Rescue (Book 2)
Publication: Sourcebooks Casablanca (June 7, 2016)

Description: In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder...

As a Motorcycle Club member and firefighter, Ian Walsh is used to riding the line between the good guys and the bad. He may owe the Club his life, but his heart rests with his fire station brothers...and with the girl he's loved since they were kids, Rory Sorenson. Ian would do anything for Rory. He'd die for her. Kill for her. Defend her to his last breath-and he may just have to.

Every con in the Rockies knows Rory is the go-to girl for less-than-legal firearms, and for the past few years, she's managed to keep the peace between dangerous factions by remaining strictly neutral. But when she defends herself against a brutal attack, Rory finds herself catapulted into the center of a Motorcycle Club war-with only Ian standing between her and a threat greater than either of them could have imagined.

My Thoughts: This is the second novel in the Rocky Mountain Search & Rescue series and stars Ian Walsh, who is a firefighter and a member of a Motorcycle Club, and Rory Sorenson who own the local gun shop.

Rory was raised by survivalist parents who got more and more paranoid until they took their own lives. Rory was raised in a hidden bunker under the gun shop. She's never had friends or contact with anyone who wasn't a customer of the gun shop. She has a secret, less-than-legal selection of arms in the back room and is used to dealing with the scary leader of the MC. When she starts having trouble with someone trying to break in, Ian steps in to protect her. Seems like he's had a crush on her since her met her when she was twelve. And since Ian could pose for any calendar featuring hot firefighters, Rory has had a crush on him for just as long.

When the two of them end up killing intruders in the gun shop who are members of the MC, they run afoul of the leader of the club. Ian is having other issues too as he is being framed for the murder of the headless corpse found in the first book.

This was a great romance. I loved the way to two characters interacted. I also loved that the heroine was cranky and socially inept. The action in this one was fast-paced and suspenseful. If there were clues toward the solution of the mystery set up in the first book beyond the fact that someone was trying to frame Ian for the crime, I missed them. I'll need to keep reading to find out who murdered the guy in the reservoir. Along the way I also expect great romances.

Favorite Quote:
If her threat had intimidated him, his expression did not show it. In fact, she was pretty sure his smile had widened. "You're kind of hot when you're making very specific and graphic threats."

She made a sound somewhere between a groan and a growl. "I'm going to bed."
I got this one for review from NetGalley. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. I love mc stories, and this one looks like it has a lot to offer. The only thing that puts me off is knowing I would probably have to continue the series for answers; I swore off series for that reason, sadly, because there are just so many books out there. I still think I'd like to read this one, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!