Friday, November 16, 2018

Friday Memes: Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
His name was Richard Williams and he worked in public relations. Despite living in a nice Edwardian semi in Chiswick, his family were originally from Fulwood, Sheffield, and had enough readies to semd him to Birkdale School as a day boy. Thus allowing him to get both and expensive education and a home cooked meal. 
Friday 56:
I checked in the next morning to see if we knew the whereabouts of Zachary Palmer, the demi-monde's very own go-to guy for ducking and diving, bar work, fixing and general dishonesty. Due to a lucrative consultation contract with Crossrail, currently worth three hundred large a year, he didn't actually have to do any ducking and diving. That he still fiddled his change and sold dodgy goods on the Portobello Road while the money piled up in a law interest building society account seemd to wind up Seawoll no end. 
This week I am featuring a new arrival on my review stack. Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch is the seventh book in the Rivers of London urban fantasy series. Here is the description from Amazon:
The seventh book of the bestselling Rivers of London urban fantasy series returns to the adventures of Peter Grant, detective and apprentice wizard, as he solves magical crimes in the city of London.

The Faceless Man, wanted for multiple counts of murder, fraud, and crimes against humanity, has been unmasked and is on the run. Peter Grant, Detective Constable and apprentice wizard, now plays a key role in an unprecedented joint operation to bring him to justice.

But even as the unwieldy might of the Metropolitan Police bears down on its foe, Peter uncovers clues that the Faceless Man, far from being finished, is executing the final stages of a long term plan. A plan that has its roots in London's two thousand bloody years of history, and could literally bring the city to its knees.

To save his beloved city Peter's going to need help from his former best friend and colleague--Lesley May--who brutally betrayed him and everything he thought she believed in. And, far worse, he might even have to come to terms with the malevolent supernatural killer and agent of chaos known as Mr Punch....

13 comments:

  1. Sounds fascinating, even though it's not my usual read. Enjoy! Here's mine:
    ”THE THREE BETHS”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before. Those excerpts grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about this series. It's definitely one I want to try sometime. Enjoy! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my usual read, but I like the snippets and the setting enough to take a closer look at the first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love how it's magical in London! I think London is magical :)

    Here's my Friday post, and I'm carrying on with the madness of posting mostly non-fiction all month, and actually really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds quite good to me! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wondering about trying this series for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The premise sounds wonderful, but I struggled a bit with some of the details in the quotes, like what are readies?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of the Rivers of London series before, it has an interesting premise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover is interesting, but the teasers really did capture my interest. See what book I'm featuring this week at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to read the first book in this series, so thanks for featuring this book. It has nudged me to start Rivers of London. I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!