Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Book Review: Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs

Smoke Bitten
Author: Patricia Briggs
Series: A Mercy Thompson Novel (Book 12)
Publication: Ace (March 17, 2020)

Description: Mercy Thompson, car mechanic and shapeshifter, faces a threat unlike any other in this thrilling entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling series.

I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman.

My only “superpowers” are that I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I'm going to need them.

Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill—until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived.

Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like anyone, any creature it chooses. But if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction. It can make you do anything—even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory.

It won't, can't, remain.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

My Thoughts: This was another excellent addition to the series. Mercy is dealing with a number of problems beginning with her marriage and bond with Adam. Then there is the new door to Underhill that has appeared in their backyard. Add in a werewolf pack that wants to take over their territory and a very dangerous escapee from Underhill and Mercy has trouble coming at her from all sides.

The story was fast-paced and exciting. I liked Mercy's stubbornness and her intelligence as she mines old fairy tales to figure out how to deal with the escapee. I liked how she deals with her marriage troubles. I liked the traces of humor and think that the idea of the "stupid olympics" is going to feature in my vocabulary.

Fans of the series won't want to miss this latest episode.

Favorite Quote:
I liked having the (more or less) innocent bystanders innocently bystanding instead of getting hurt. 
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!