Monday, June 22, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 22, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

We had a lovely week here in the Northland - lots of great weather with sunny skies and really pleasant temperatures. Of course, Duluth is also desperately short of rainfall for the year. I think we are five inches below average. But I like sunny skies and warm temperatures.

I am working away at my July review books and have just two more July 7 releases to read and then a gap before my next review books. I've not decided what I'll read yet. I have some possibilities on my TBR stack but haven't settled on anything yet. In audiobooks. I have just two more in the Mercy Thompson series and then I think I'll listen to the related series by Briggs - the Alpha and Omega books.

It is hard to believe that it is already past the middle of June. Staying at home has messed up my sense of time passing even more than before the Covid-19 stuff. Things are opening up around me but I'm still being really cautious. This week's news reported that certain blood types seem to get a worse case of the virus than other blood types. Naturally, it is my blood type that is hit harder. Between my age, suppressed immune system, and now blood type, I feel targeted.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Blood Shot by Tanya Huff (Mine) - This is a collection of short stories set in the Blood and Smoke universes. My review will be posted on June 25.
  • Outsider by Linda Castillo (July 7) - This is a Kate Burkholder mystery and concerns a running woman who was once Kate's roommate and now is a dirty cop and ready to implicate other dirty cops who want her dead. My review will be posted on June 30. 
  • Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs (Mine; Audiobook) - Mercy needs to save the day when Adam and his whole pack are captured by rogue government agents who want to force the government to give them shoot-to-kill licenses for werewolves and other fae. With Zee back on the fae hidden reservation and Samuel away, Mercy is a little short of allies. She calls on Stefan and Bran sends Asil.  My review will be posted on August 11.
  • Night Broken by Patricia Briggs (Mine; Audiobook) - Adam's ex-wife Christy calls on Adam for help when she attracts a stalker who turns out to be a volcano god. Mercy meets her half-brother and Coyote is involved too. My review will be posted on August 20. 
  • Once You Go This Far by Kristen Lepionka (July 7) - This is the 4th Roxane Weary mystery and has her looking into the death of a woman she met just once and finding herself in a much bigger problem. My review will be posted on July 1.
  • Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs (Mine; Audiobook) - Adam and Mercy get involved with the fae when they declare the Tri-Cities under their protection and when they extend the protection to a young escapee from Underhill. My review will be posted on August 27. 
  • Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs (Mine; audiobook) - Mercy is kidnapped by vampires and taken to Italy where she finds herself in the middle of a variety of vampire plots and Coyote has is paws in the mess too. My review will be posted on Sept. 8.
  • Out of Time by David Klass (July 7) - This was a fast-paced techno-thriller told from both the viewpoint of a rookie FBI Agent and the terrorist himself. My review will be posted on July 2.
DNF

  • To Catch an Earl by Kate Bateman (June 30) - I quit this one because all of the characters were Too Stupid To Live. The heroine - a reluctant jewel thief - wears a distinctive perfume on her heists. It was the same perfume she wore when she had one dance with a man who is now heading the investigation and who fell in love with her during the course of one dance and then he went off to fight Napoleon.

Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • See Her Die by Melinda Leigh (Sept. 15) - This is the second Bree Taggert thriller.
What was your week like?



16 comments:

  1. Interesting mix of reads. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how organized you are with your reading. After my current read, I still have two July books. I was hoping to already have read them. Your books all look great. I hope you are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe summer is here. Think you're right about how the passage of time seems different since this coronavirus got started. It's getting much worse here, so we've cut back the few activities that were recently added. Have a feeling this will be a long-term thing at this point. Good luck with your July reading and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really interesting looking books. The only problem with gaps in arc reading is I can never decide which book from my TBR list to read. I waste hours trying to decide!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are staying pretty isolated for the most part as well. My husband has made a few quick runs into stores but is masked up and sanitizes after, but mostly we are sticking around the house or outside, at a social distance.

    I need to catch up on Patricia Briggs. And this weather must be great for your energy bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are being cautious. That is the best approach.

    I love Melinda Leigh's books, and I'm also curious about Outsider.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! Mostly all new to me ones. I know the Mercy Thompson series but sadly fell out of it sometime ago. Hope you enjoy this week's reads!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made me laugh that the characters were too stupid to live! Love that.Ah hadn't heard that about blood types, yes stay cautious - I think that's the way we'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your description on why you DNF To Catch an Earl had me cracking up! It's great that you're almost all caught up with your review books for July. My sense of time is all messed up too. Enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to look up the study about the blood type, and, of course, I am also in the most susceptible group. Sigh.

    Yes, yes, yes. I completely get Too Stupid to Live. Good thing we do not make that a condition that causes such folks to be unable to vote.

    I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of interesting reads. I checked out your review for The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes. I'm undecided on that book. I've been keeping an eye on Hometown Hero, too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of interesting books. Stay safe and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to hear you are enjoying nice weather...even with some rain.
    I agree that COVID19 has created a strange sense of time. For me at work as well as home. Hubby is at risk so has only been out to the doctors and grocery store visits after (masked and gloved) about 4 times in four months.
    Are you reading Mercy Thompson for first time or re-read. That is one of my fav series.
    I want to read more Tanya Huff in the Confederation series. I'll have to check out her other series too.
    The Mountains Wild looks good.
    Stay safe and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had not heard that about the blood type, but that's alarming. there are so many things I feel like we don't know yet about this illness. and same here- I'm still sticking close to home.

    Glad the weather's been nice. It's been sunny here too and it feels like summer has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish we could give you the rain we've been getting. It's rained at least every other day here. Also, Badger to the Bone! So hilarious, hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh oh, you've just about ran out of Mercy books! I've bought the Huff short stories but haven't read them yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!