Monday, January 11, 2021

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Jan. 11, 2021)

 It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading... 

What a week! I was watching TV as armed rioters tried to take over the US Capitol in order to disrupt the 2020 election. I watched TV all day in a state of disbelief. Since I was listening to A Promised Land that day, I was struck by the timeliness of the book I had chosen. 

As I'm writing this on Saturday, there are still things happening regarding the protest. I was distressed that the protestors were not arrested after they broke into the Capitol but am glad that many are being identified and arrested now. I'm sure things would have been different had the protestors been Black. I'm also glad not to have to hear anything more about Trump's tweets and calls for insurrection. Someone else compared it to Whack a Mole as accounts Trump tried to use were discovered and blocked throughout the last couple of days.

Those awful events almost totally overshadowed the elections in Georgia which tipped the Senate to the Democrats and that Covid-19 deaths exceeded 4000 a day. It also sort of buried the process to vaccinate US citizens against the virus which is proceeding much more slowly than the White House had touted. I'm still concerned about the Inauguration on Jan. 20 and hope that it will be a peaceful occasion. 

Meanwhile, I hope to spend a lot of time reading review books that will be releasing in February. I published my 4000th post on this blog last week too. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Cast in Flight by Michelle Sagara (Mine; Kindle and Audible) -- The twelfth book in the Chronicles of Elantra series focuses on the Aerians but has a lot more. Really complex fantasy! My review will be posted on Jan. 26.
  • A Promised Land by Barack Obama (Mine; Audible) -- I was planning to listen to a chapter a day since the whole book was 29 hours long but got so involved in the events that I just had to keep listening. I think this was more successful as an audiobook than it would have been as a print book for because of all the detail. I really like listening to Obama! My review will be posted on Feb. 10.
  • Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (Mine; Kindle and Audible) -- The first Phryne Fisher mystery was an entertaining historical mystery. I really like Phryne and bought the next three in the series. My review will be posted on Jan. 30.
  • Named of the Dragon by Susanna Kearsley (Mine; Kindle and Audible) -- Another entertaining fantasy/mystery/romance. My review will be posted on Feb. 13.
  • Beneath the Keep by Erika Johansen (Review; Feb. 2) -- This entertaining fantasy is a prequel to her Tearling trilogy. My review will be posted on Jan. 27.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought:
Review:
What was your week like?


16 comments:

  1. Oh have fun with The Iron Raven when you get around to it! I have heard good things, looking forward to getting my hands on a copy!
    Also congrats on your 4000th post!!! That is beyond amazing! I can only hope to get to that point one day lol!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your books look very good. I am happy for books during these troubling times. I am also worried about more violence in the days ahead.

    Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sad to see the events unfold at the Capitol building last week, I hope things become more peaceful once the new president is in place.

    Congratulations on your 4000th post, I recently reached 1000 but then deleted a lot of promotion only posts from a while ago and am below 1000 again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on reaching such a big milestone!

    I'm fed up with America right now. So much stupidity around me. Is there a good place to hide? Other than in a book?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week it's been... I was also glued to the television all day Wednesday. I'm worried about the next week.

    Congratulations on your 4000th blog post. That is quite an achievement! Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting the different perspective you can get of a book when you listen as opposed to read. I wonder how many audiobooks are consumed by readers as opposed to people who don't like to read or have difficulty reading?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to read A Promised Land! I hoped to listen to it over break, as I had the audiobook on loan, but I didn't get a chance. I do have the actual book on my shelf, though!
    Sarah at smallworldreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the 4000th post. That sure is a lot.

    Lots of goodlooking books.
    It has been a very stressing time with what happened in our country. Saddens me so bad. I look forward to the new President.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the inauguration will go smoothly, but I think many of us harbor some doubt. I look forward to your review of A Promised Land. I think that is one I would prefer in audio also. Named The Dragon is one I have my eye on. And I am eager to read The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry.

    I hope you enjoy your new books and current reads! Have a great week, Kathy. Hopefully news this week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice!! Super curious about Finlay Donovan is Killing It! I'm behind on Cosimano's books but I loved what I've read! Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I feel bad for the events my neighbors to the south are going through. Agreed with the hope for a peaceful transition! And yeah for the 4000 posts! Looks like a good reading week with a number of good books! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still shocked at what went on last week. So frightening.

    I want to listen to the Obama book. I have to see if I can get it at the library.

    I hope you have a great week and enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to enjoy politics, but this three ring circus is too much for me.

    Lots of great books on your list. A Lady's Formula for Love is one that I wanted to read. Hope you enjoy all your books.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rioting was awful. We Canadians were shocked. You're reading some good books. I'll look forward t reading your review of Kearsley's novel. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The riot was unbelievable, and it's disturbing as we learn more about how unprepared the authorities were for it. And yes if the protesters had been black- I can't even imagine.

    The Phryne Fisher series was good, what I saw of it- I bet the books are too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your 4000th post milestone.
    It’s hardly a surprise the WH lied re the vaccine, I hope the new admin is able to correct it.
    Love the additions to your stack!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!