Saturday, December 18, 2021

Book Review: The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar by Seana Kelly

The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar

Author:
Seana Kelly
Series: Sam Quinn (Book 1)
Publication: NYLA (October 13, 2020)

Description: Welcome to The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar. I’m Sam Quinn, the werewolf book nerd in charge. I run my business by one simple rule: Everyone needs a good book and a stiff drink, be they vampire, wicche, demon, or fae. No wolves, though. Ever. I have my reasons.

I serve the supernatural community of San Francisco. We’ve been having some problems lately. Okay, I’m the one with the problems. The broken body of a female werewolf washed up on my doorstep. What makes sweat pool at the base of my spine, though, is realizing the scars she bears are identical to the ones I conceal. After hiding for years, I’ve been found.

A protection I’ve been relying on is gone. While my wolf traits are strengthening steadily, the loss also left my mind vulnerable to attack. Someone is ensnaring me in horrifying visions intended to kill. Clive, the sexy vampire Master of the City, has figured out how to pull me out, designating himself my personal bodyguard. He’s grumpy about it, but that kiss is telling a different story. A change is taking place. It has to. The bookish bartender must become the fledgling badass.

I’m a survivor. I’ll fight fang and claw to protect myself and the ones I love. And let’s face it, they have it coming.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this urban fantasy title that is the first of a (currently) four book series. Sam Quinn is a werewolf, bar owner, and book nerd. 

Sam was attacked when she was seventeen and brutalized which is when she first became a werewolf. She had recently lost her mother and was spending time with an uncle she didn't know who was also a werewolf.

After the attack, Sam fled to San Francisco where she is the only werewolf. She has gathered a group of friends including vampires, wicche, demons, and other supernatural types. Now, though, seven years later, she has suddenly become a magnet for people who want to kill her. 

Luckily, Clive who is the head of the local vampire nocturne, has her back. They are building a relationship that is veering toward the romantic as Sam gradually gets over the violence in her past. 

I loved Sam. She's a book nerd and Tolkien fan. I loved that Clive turned a ballroom into a library - that Sam compares to the Beasts - in order to please her. I liked the worldbuilding and the fast-paced plot with lots of exciting action.

Favorite Quote:
"Not that I have a problem with the thug life. I'm totally down with grand theft auto. Unless we get stopped. If that happens, I was kidnapped and am completely innocent." There wer remarkably few people wandering the streets after two in the morning. Go figure.

"Good to know I have your support."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!