Monday, January 30, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 30. 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet winter week. It snowed lightly on a number of days and then the temperature plunged. We've had single digits above and below zero this week for daytime highs and with windchills as low as -20F after dark. I have mostly stayed in with one quick trip to the grocery store.

Since it is nearing the end of January, I set up my March calendar. I have plans for what I want to read but haven't set up any of the posts yet. I did put a couple of the books I discovered on my TBR pile that have been hanging around since 2008 and before on the calendar. 

2008 is a magic number for me. That is when I added my whole book collection - every book I could find in my house - to LibraryThing. I still use LibraryThing to keep track of the books I own. Since it shows the date I added a book to the collection, it is easy for me to know when I got a book. It lets me tag books too. Each unread book gets a TBR tag which I remove after I've read the book. I also put books in collections and save reviews and comments. Collections like "New This Week," "Currently Reading," "Review-Pending," and "Read Last Week" really make writing this post easy. My unlimited subscription was the best $25 I've ever spent!

This week I'll be writing my State of the Stack post for February 1. I would really like to finish all my February review books before I write it. I just have one book to go - Cold-Blooded Liar by Karen Rose - at 464 pages. It's doable if I start reading it as soon as I finish Dark in Death.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Primer and Punishment by Diane Kelly (Review; February 21) -- 5th in the House Flipper series. Nice cozy mystery. My review will be posted on February 14.
  • Murder Served Neat by Michelle Hillen Klump (Review: February 21) -- Second in an interesting cozy series. Engaging characters. My review will be posted on February 15.
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (Kindle & Audiobook; Mine since October 26, 2021) -- Great worldbuilding and an interesting group of characters in this space Opera. My review will be posted on February 11.
  • Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop (Mine; Audiobook) -- First reread of this favorite series in 2023.
  • Murder at Haven's Rock by Kelley Armstrong (Review; February 21) -- Beginning of a spinoff series. Great characters and an engaging mystery. My review will be posted on February 16.
  • Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet Evonovich (Mine since April 13, 2021) -- The twenty-sixth in the Stephanie Plum series was a fun humorous mystery. My review will be posted on February 18.
  • Silent Evidence by Rachel Grant (Kindle &Audiobook; mine since October 29, 2021) -- Fast paced and spicy romantic suspense. Stands alone despite being the 8th or 9th in the Evidence series. My review will be posted on February 16.
  • Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop (Mine; Audiobook) -- First reread of this series in 2023.
  • Hawken's Heart by Suzanne Brockmann (mine since at least 2008) -- This romantic suspense title (written in 1998) is a big part of the reason I love reading that genre. Great characters. My review will be posted February 22.
  • The Disappearance of Trudy Solomon (Mine since December 17, 2022) -- When the second in this series landed on my Review stack, I decided I needed to read the first. It was an excellent twisty mystery with intriguing characters. My review will be posted on February 21.
Currently
  • Blood Red by Mercedes Lackey (Kindle & Audiobook added 9/28/2021)
  • Dark in Death by J. D. Robb (Mine) - reread in anticipation of the newest In Death being released February 7. 
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Hex Life edited by Kelley Armstrong (Kindle Daily Deal, $1.99)
  • Above the Bay of Angels by Rhys Bowen (Free with Amazon Prime)
  • Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Kindle & Audiobook) -- I bought the paperback in 1997 and have never read it. Now it is on my calendar for March.
  • High Stakes by Dick Francis (BookBub, $1.99) - Kindle version of a paperback in my collection
  • Cold Evidence by Rachel Grant (Kindle Free & Audiobook $1.99)
Grace Draven is fighting cancer and will be starting chemo in February. One way that was suggested to help her was to buy her books. I chose these. She also has a GoFundMe
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. Hard to fathom we are at the end of January already. We get the snow, but not as cold of temps as you do. I'd stay in too. I need to get back to the Others series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primer and Punishment looks good to me. Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to believe we are at the end of January already. This month has flown. Great books you've read and acquired. We share a deep love of the Others series. I am on book 3 now, to start the new year. Love that series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many books and all but one are authors I have never heard of. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't believe we are almost at February already. I love how organized you are with your reading and books. I'm trying to get there. I hope you enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many wonderful books! I hope you enjoy all of them.

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many books! You are quite a prolific reader!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It hasn't been that cold here, just snowy, but today it's VERY cold.

    You have some reviews coming up I'd like to read. I've read a little Cherryh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I never used Library Thing myself. I use goodreads to categorize what books I own basically. I forgot the month I joined in 2010 but pretty much since then...but I have discovered I occasionally forget to mark a book as want to read/own. LOL! I do have an Excel sheet of all my books total though! This one I have highlighted to show what books are signed and what not. This works beautifully for signings, especially larger ones with multi authors and I can know what books to bring...finding them is another matter since the majority of them are in storage if they are "read!" Lol.

    Nice lineup! I am excited for Carter's new YA books! I love her first two YA series she wrote and am looking forward to this one! I hope you enjoy all of the reads lined up for this week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is one of the best sci fi books I've read in a long time. Glad you enjoyed it, too.

    Sooooo cold there! I cannot even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never used LibraryThing. I probably should have way back when. I am probably too stuck on my system now. :)

    I saw Primer and Punishment at another blog today. Charlotte Illes is Not a Detective also caught my eye. Hope you enjoy your books.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_01790645453.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so impressed by your organization with LibraryThing. I use a spreadsheet, and it works for me but I have to stay on top of it or else it all goes to crap.

    Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been cold here to and snowing a bit. I have heard of LibraryThing but never used it. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa -20!!! It is cold here, but not -20 cold. At least not yet.

    I will have to check your review of the new Kelley Armstrong book. I loved the Rockton books and was unsure how I felt about the new spin off version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cold is not fun! Sounds like a pretty good week with the reading, I see some of my favourite authors! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!