Monday, April 17, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (April 17, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...
After a week that saw temperatures near 60 degrees Fahrenheit and lots melting leading to mostly bare ground in my yard, I woke up to snow covered ground this morning. It is still snowing as noon approaches. We're expecting anywhere up to six inches today. I won't have the snow total until tomorrow but am pretty sure that we will have moved into second place and maybe even first place. The one positive about snow in April is that it melts quickly which isn't all that good this year since we are already dealing with rivers near or over flood stage. 

This past week's doctor's appointment only led to more doctor's appointments as we try to figure out why I have such a persistent cough. This week sees a breathing test and a CT scan of my lungs. Now that Spring has arrived, I'll be driving myself to my appointments and won't have to depend on my brother. Of course, the forecast is predicting snow and/or rain every day this coming week but not in quantities that are considered measurable. 

My plan to set the In Death Reread aside until I catch up on the books I actually put on my calendar is working. I now have reviews scheduled until May 2. I plan to keep up this plan for a couple of weeks more to rebuild my cushion. 

I have been planning my May calendar which I have filled with a lot of books I bought in 2009 and a few newer arrivals fitted in around the review books. I even pulled a couple of nonfiction books from my stack. 

Otherwise, I've been reading, listening to audiobooks, and watching baseball. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • The Lake House by Sarah Beth Durst (Review; April 25) -- YA horror story about three teenaged girls who find themselves marooned on an island in Maine with a murderer. My review will be posted on April 19.
  • Brotherhood in Death by J. D. Robb (Book 42 in the In Death Reread)
  • Deep Tide by Laura Griffin (Review; April 25) -- Romantic suspense title set in Texas. My review will be posted on April 20.
  • Murder on Bedford Street by Victoria Thompson (Review; April 25) -- 26th in the Gaslight mysteries deals with a young wife confined to a asylum. My review will be posted on April 20.
  • Viviana Valentine Goes Up the River by Emily J. Edwards (Review; May 2) -- 1950s mystery that includes Soviet spies, murder, and a feisty heroine. My review will be posted on April 25.
  • The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths (mine since February 28) -- The first in the Ruth Galloway mystery series. My review will be posted on April 22.
  • Gated Prey (Eve Ronin, Book 3) by Lee Goldberg (Audiobook Since September 2, 2022) -- The third Eve Ronin concerns a home invasion and a fetal abduction. My review will be posted on April 27.
  • The Bride Wore White by Amanda Quick (Review; May 2) -- Latest in the Burning Cove 1930s mystery series stars Prudence Ryland and Jack Wingate. Nice combination of mystery, romance, and paranormal powers. My review will be posted on April 26.
  • Warrior Girl Unearthed by Angeline Boulley (Review; May 2) -- YA mystery steeped in Anishnaabe culture. Lots of plot threads and great characters. I liked it so much I preordered a keeper copy for myself. My review will be posted on April 27.
  • All the Queen's Men by S J Bennett (Mine since March) -- Second Queen Elizabeth II mystery was another entertaining story. My review will be posted on April 29.
  • Undone by Rachel Caine (Mine since February 6, 2009) -- The first in an urban fantasy series set in the world of the Weather Wardens. The main character is a Djinn who angered her leader and was sentenced to life as a human on earth. My review will be published May 2.
Currently
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, Book 3) by Sherry Thomas (Audiobook included in membership) -- 4:56 left 
  • Playing It Safe by Ashley Weaver (Review; May 9) -- just starting
Next Week
  • A Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong (Audiobook I've had since November 2, 2020)
  • First Truth by Dawn Cook (Audiobook version of a paperback I've had since July 8, 2009)
  • Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (Kindle version of a paperback I've had since May 8, 2007)
Reviews Posted
  • Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco
  • A Different Dawn by Isabella Maldonado
  • The Librarian of Crooked Lane by C. J. Archer
  • A Wealth of Deception by Trish Esden
  • Kris Longknife: Tenacious by Mike Shepherd
  • Vanish by Tess Gerritsen
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
Replacements for Books on TBR Mountain:
  • First Truth by Dawn Cook (Kindle and Audiobook included in membership)
  • Forgotten Truth by Dawn Cook (Audiobook included in membership)
  • Hidden Truth by Dawn Cook (Audiobook included in membership)
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. Gosh, I do hope the doctors are able to figure out what's going on with your cough and get you some relief. A persistent cough is awful.

    And, oh the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the doctor appointment. I know what it's like trying to figure out a persistent cough. I hope they figure it out. Wow, on all that snow. You guys need a break from it already. Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon! Enjoy those books, and congrats on such great reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get some answers soon and get that cough taken care of. You've reminded me that I want to add Emily Wilde's Encyclopedia to my TBR. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had barely an inch of snow here in Central Maryland this past winter. I would love to have snow in April, but not when there are already other weather concerns such as flooding. I hope your cough eases up soon and your doctor appointments give you some answers. Thinking of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your doctor's visit, I hope you get the answers!

    The Victoria Thompson series sounds good! And The Lake House is definitely going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's snowing here too and in the THIRTIES. It was 80 two days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you start any new medications around when the cough started? A cough is a listed side effect of some blood pressure medications, I know.
    A "fetal abduction" sounds horrifying! (I think I've only read one book by Lee Goldberg, will have to see if I am up to reading this series.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a lot of snow! At this point, you might just as well break the record for the most snow ever... so close! Hope the tests can get to the bottom of your persistent cough. And you're reading some nonfiction in May?? I'm surprised ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck at the doctors! Hope everything turns out alright!

    And oooh nice looking lineup! I'm curious about The Lake House! I even saw it out early on the shelves, but told myself not to buy it just yet. Mostly because I know I will not get to it before its release and to better help the author's sales! Can't wait to read your thoughts on it this week!

    And ooh more of my TBR books are in your queue! Can't wait to hear more about Emily Wilde's Encyclopedia of Faeries and A Stitch in Time!

    Hope you enjoy all of your reads for this week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the cough has been all figured out and dealt with! And yeah that that the plan is working! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!