Monday, February 26, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (February 26, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I woke up to snow on Friday morning and it continued to snow lightly until early afternoon. This is the first snow we've gotten in what feels like forever. Only traces remain now since the temperature warmed to the high thirties both Friday and Saturday. It's 37 now and sunny. The high is supposed to hit 40. We seem to have a roller coaster week in the forecast. 54 on Monday, 38 on Tuesday, 17 on Wednesday, 37 on Thursday, 49 on Friday, and 51 next Saturday. There is snow likely on Tuesday but less than an inch is forecast. We are on track to have the least snowy February on record here in Duluth and the records go back 100 years. 

The week has been pretty quiet here but has been marred by the sudden death of one of my favorite authors. Steve Miller passed away suddenly on Tuesday. He and his wife Sharon Lee are most known for their Liaden Universe science fiction stories. I only had the opportunity to meet and spend time with them a couple of times at science fiction conventions and bookstore signings. However, I have interacted with both of them frequently on Facebook. I feel this loss especially since Steve and I were of an age. He being just two days older than I am. Sharon has been good about posting to Facebook letting fans and friends know how she is doing coping with the loss of a spouse of more than forty years. 

Here at home, I'm continuing listening to my In Death audiobooks and trying to whittle down my stack of review copies. This week should be the same. I have the rest of the March releases in my plans for this week. I'll be skipping a couple of the In Death audiobooks since I listened to them less than six months ago when I was skipping around and just picking favorites or seasonal books. For example, I read Thankless in Death around Thanksgiving and read a couple set around Christmas time last year in December. 

For my turn on the cooking, I took us both out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner on Tuesday. We both decided on combos. He had sirloin steak and ribs, and I had a ribeye steak and shrimp. We both came home with leftovers. I finished mine yesterday and need to decide what I want to eat today since he's working over the dinner hour. He still has a sidekick of ribs since they said they burnt the ones served to him and gave him a second sidekick for free. He didn't think the first ones were burnt and ate them yesterday for his pre-work meal. 

My brother is off on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. I hope he has some good ideas for what he wants to cook. I've been printing off interesting recipes and piling them on the kitchen table to give him ideas. 

Read Last Week
  • A Forgotten Murder by Jude Deveraux (Audiobook; mine since 11/24/21) -- Third in the Medlar Mysteries. This one is set at a stately home turned boutique hotel in England. The three are there to solve a 20-year-old mystery. My review will be posted on March 6.
  • A Grave Robbery by Deanna Raybourn (Review; March 12) -- Another Veronica Speedwell historical mystery. Great characters and interesting plot. My review will be posted on March 7.
  • Doors Into Change by Sharon Lee (Mine) -- This book contains 3 works set in or around the author's Archer's Beach contemporary fantasy world. I liked it a lot but don't intend to review this one on my blog. 
  • Indulgence in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook) -- In Death 31
  • Peril in Pink by Sydney Leigh (Review; March 19) -- Start of a new cozy mystery series set in a B&B in upstate New York. My review will be posted on March 12.
  • Treachery in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook) -- In Death 32
  • The Love Remedy by Elizabeth Everett (Review; March 19) -- Social commentary disguised as a historical romance. My review will be posted on March 12.
  • New York to Dallas by J. D. Robb (Audiobook) -- In Death 33 and part of my rereadathon.
  • A Midnight Puzzle by Gigi Pandian (Review; March 19) -- Third in the Secret Staircase mystery series. Great characters, twisty plot, great setting. My review will be posted on March 14.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of the loss of one of your author friends. Our weather has been a see-saw too lately. Warmer today, but a bit of snow by Thursday. Hope you enjoy your books.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_01820781670.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad about Steve Miller.

    Looks like a nice selection of books. I hope you enjoy them and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner out with your brother. i love Texas Roadhouse. I just plain love steak, lol! Have a wonderful week, Kathy ☕📚🐉🤗🫶

    ReplyDelete
  4. A steak is nice every now and then, I think.

    I bet you are good about sticking to your schedule in order to get so much reading and reviewing accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! A night out is always fun!

    Nice lineup of reads too! All totally new to me ones but I hope you enjoy them all!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having a good meal out! Off The Air looks particularly compelling to me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You read an amazing amount of books. Looks like some good ones coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For quickie reads, the In Death books also make really good rereads. Robb does a really good job with the relationships and side characters, which is what has me going back to see what was up. Enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about Steve Miller. I am always trying to reduce my TBR pile too but can't resist looking at NetGalley

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m sorry for your loss.
    I hope you found something tasty for dinner
    A few of your books have caught my eye,

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear of his passing. We've been getting snow right now, too, and it was "bike chain won't work unless you're careful" cold going into work, and wear shorts home warm in the afternoon. Weird. Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!