Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Steam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer Pape

Friday Memes
 
Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings
 
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 

If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


I just began Steam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer Pape. This is an eARC from Carina Press that I received via NetGalley. I haven't read much more than the first sentence but it really grabbed me and made me want to find out more about the world.


Beginning:
"We live in an age where people can travel on ships that fly through the air." The sharp rap of an umbrella point on the wooden floor of the carriage punctuated the sentence. "Where a machine can calculate the distance between the stars in less time than it takes you to tie your cravat. I fail to comprehend why, in such an otherwise enlightened era, your ridiculously hidebound Order of the Round Table should refuse to admit female Knights."
Page 56, sentence 5:
Miss Bristol bit her full lower lip, then licked away a crumb. Judging by the amount she'd consumed, she hasn't eaten all day. Hell, she probably needed the position just to survive.

12 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I like the book beginning. Grabs you right off. Now I'm going to have to check this book out. Love the book cover. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/friday-book-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like them both...I can feel like I'm right there with the characters in these situations.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the beginning. This sounds like fun!

    Here's my beginning for the day: Here's mine: http://mostraum.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/book-beginnings-on-friday-march-18th-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great 56! Left me asking for more.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo. This looks intriguing! Great Friday 56/ Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy,

    This sounds like a good, fun read and I just love the cover art.

    Not a genre I am over familiar with, but I am always willing to try something new, if it is recommended.

    When I checked out the synopsis, I noticed that it has also received some great reviews, which is a good sign.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice beginning! Loving the girl power angle!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like Steampunk meets feminism, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds quite interesting. I look forward to your review!

    Thanks for visiting Proud Book Nerd! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like it. i just picked it up myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!