Saturday, March 5, 2011

Review: This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

This Side of the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publication: Avon (February 22, 2011)


Description: Danger waits on both sides of the grave. 

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance...

With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing.  A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"--the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war. ...to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.




My Thoughts: Jeaniene Frost is one of those authors who can make me laugh and cry while reading the same page. She engages me completely in her stories. This was another excellent episode in the Cat & Bones series.


I don't want to spoil anyone's reading of this episode but I feel that I can say that I enjoyed Cat getting used to new powers. I also liked the interplay between Cat and Bones. It was good to see Mencheres, Kira, Vlad, Spade and Denise again. 


It was also good to see Fabian again too. Cat learns a lot more about ghosts in this one. She also has a further encounter with Marie Laveau which adds to Cat's freaky vampire powers. Marie's control of Remnants is a skill that Cat needs to defeat the ghoul Apollyon. 


I thought the way Bones taught Cat how to fly was funny.


I highly recommend this series to all lovers of urban fantasy with really kick-butt heroines and larger and sexier than life heroes. I can't wait until fall for the next book in the series. 


Favorite Quote:
Timmie gave Bones and me a speculative glance. "Before we go, I gotta know: If mind-reading abilities are real, there's something else I wondered if fiction got right about vampires--"


"Ask me if I sparkle and I'll kill you where you stand," Bones cut him off with utmost seriousness.
This is a great series. Here are the previous books in the Night Huntress series:
You can see her whole list here. That list says that the next Cat & Bones book should be out in September. I wonder if it is too soon to pre-oreder it at Amazon?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this too. I have also been enjoying the Night Huntress World Books- First Drop of Crimson and Eternal Kiss of Darkness.

    I am spring cleaning my blog roll in March so I also want to thank you for being a follower!
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!