Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (March 14, 2011)

It's Monday, What are you reading is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey 
It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I am so glad last week is over. The week began well but... Wednesday I went to finally pick up my new glasses, after being without them since Jan. 12 due to cataract surgery, and found out that they didn't work. I still had double vision. They spent an hour trying to adjust them with no success. I had asked a friend to drive me in and promised her dinner in exchange. So we went to Bakers' Square. (Wednesday is free pie day.) When we finally got home we spent some time loading some songs from my iTunes onto her new iPhone. There was no real reading time that night.

Thursday I call my ophthalmologist and was first told that I had to try the glasses for two weeks (by the receptionist) but then was told to bring them in to let their optical department check if they were made correctly. I stopped home after work on Thursday to get the receipt for the glasses and, when I went to start my car to go to the optical department, the car wouldn't start. I had a dead battery. So, instead of going to get the glasses checked, I had to call for a jump and take my car to my dealer to get a new battery. I was going to drive alone to the eye doctor but called my accommodating friend to drive for me when I found out I had to go more places. After doing some shopping, I managed to waste a good part of that evening too.

Friday my friend and I went to the eye doctor and spent about an hour. They checked the lenses and checked with my doctor. The outcome was that I needed to make an appointment to see the doctor again. Luckily, that will happen on Monday after school. My friend and I again did a variety of errands and ended up going out to dinner at a very nice Italian restaurant. I had leftovers for the weekend too. 

I hope that my Monday appointment will solve the problems though I will almost certainly have to go back to the place where I ordered my glasses and have them remade. There goes at least another two weeks until I have glasses that I can use to drive with. I am starting to feel a little housebound (and I need to have my taxes done really soon now.)

I did get some reading done this past week too:
I loved River Marked by Patricia Briggs. This sixth book in the Mercy Thompson series is centered around a honeymoon trip that is filled with trouble and adventure. My review will be posted on March 17.

Wilder's Mate by Moira Rogers is an ebook that begins a new series that combines alternate history, steampunk and the paranormal. It was very entertaining and I look forward to more stories in the world. My review will be posted on March 19.
I did finish Wither by Lauren DeStefano this week. This was another young adult dystopia. In this world girls die at age 20 and boys at 25. The main character is a 16-year-old girl who was kidnapped to be the bride of a 21-year-old. It was very thought-provoking. It is also the start of a trilogy. My review will be posted on March 17 and the book will be published on March 22.

I also read Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis this week. It was an eARC that I received from Simon & Schuster. I just loved this very engaging story. It reminded me a lot of one of my favorite books - Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. It takes place in an alternate 1803 England. Some people have magic but it isn't really socially acceptable. Kat is 12 and in determined to save her older sister from making an unfortunate marriage with the evil Sir Neville in order to save her family from ruin. It was so much fun to read. My review will be posted on March 24 and I have already pre-ordered a finished copy when it comes out on April 5.

I am currently reading:
The Vampire Voss by Colleen Gleason is a paranormal romance from Harlequin. I got the eARC from NetGalley. I am enjoying this one. I like the unique take on vampires. 

Next week:
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness is the first on my list to read next week. It is high on the bestsellers list and has been intriguing to me since I first heard about it. 

After that, I plan to browse my TBR mountain to see what sounds and looks good. What are your plans for the coming week?

18 comments:

  1. I do hope the glasses problem will be sorted out. I cannot imagine what I would do without mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck--vision problems are the worst! Hope everything gets taken care of tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Wither. I want to know what you think about it.

    The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read good things about Patricia Briggs books, I think I will add her to my wishlist!
    jbdownie5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been very curious about A Discovery of Witches and look forward to your thoughts. Happy reading and enjoy your week. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow... you had a busy and frustrating week but some fun mixed in too. Hopefully this next week goes smoother for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like a busy week! I'm a new follower. I am also a reviewer for the same areas as you!

    You can check out my week here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I turned in my children's book project today. The reading I did for it last week accounts for almost a third of my list. Come see what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the problems with your glasses. I know for readers and teachers having eye problems are difficult. Hope things get straighten out soon. Wither looks good and I am hoping to get to it soon. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wither was all right. Didn't adore it, didn't hate it. Can't wait for your review of River Marked!

    Here's my wrapup post

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I am totally relating to your glasses experience, since at some point in the future, I'll have to go through the cataract surgery. Not yet, but that reminds me I must have a new exam to see what's going on.

    Hope this week is better for you!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love A Discovery of Witches but I don't know if everyone will :) I need to read The Vampire Voss (sometimes I forget my NetGalley reads LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the vision/glasses stuff gets worked out, so frustrating, I am amazed you got any reading done at all.

    Dollycas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog through Sheila's list and I wanted to say that I love the title. This is my favorite Groucho Marx quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad to hear you enjoyed Kat, Incorrigible. I got that from GalleyGrab and haven't started it yet. The Mercy Thompson series looks really interesting to me and I've been curious about it for years. I really need to try it sometime!

    I've heard good things about A Discover of Witches. I am on a waiting list for it at my library. I hope you enjoy it and have a much better week. Hopefully your eyeglasses situation is sorted out now! It must be so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, so much trouble for a pair of glasses! I hope everything's fine and settled now. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Wither (because everyone seems to have different perspectives), and I'm glad to hear of an unique take on vamps! Enjoy~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about your glasses and vision problems. Hope it gets better for your soon.

    You read quite a few books. I'm really curious about the Moira Rogers book. And I have Discovery of Witches, but it will be awhile before I can get to it....darn it!

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kathy - I am finally getting to visit from Monday Posts.
    You are reading a lot in two genres I am reading/want to read more of: dystopia and steampunk.
    I will check out some of your reviews.
    Hope this week was good for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!